Adopted silkie

Sieverthomestead

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
So we adopted this rooster silkie. I was told it was used as an emotional support chicken. It was kept in doors in the living room coop I was told. I never got to see living conditions. I have a decent size coop and run for my chickens. I have a tractor supply smaller coop that this chicken is staying in until i know its not sick and is introduced enough. That being said I have not owned a silkie before so I could be wrong but he seems sick or poorly taken care of. I am attaching some pictures. I'm curious about his feet and also his wings. His breathing seems off but it is hott and he could be anxious. owner said he was 1.5 years old.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1832015156.jpg
    Snapchat-1832015156.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-986118771.jpg
    Snapchat-986118771.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-1136147181.jpg
    Snapchat-1136147181.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 6
  • Snapchat-644072195.jpg
    Snapchat-644072195.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 7
Can you post some photos of all of him, how he stands, his face/eyes, etc.?

From what I see, it almost looks like his wings have been clipped.
Feathers are a little rough, but that could be age, how he was housed, softness of feathers, etc.
Look through his feathers for lice/mites.

His nails are overgrown. You can slowly start working on trimming and filing those down a little at a time.

Scales of legs and feet are dry and the scales a bit raised. Possibly the raised scales might indicate early Scaly Leg Mite infestation...could be age, nutrition or just because of feathered feet.
I'd slather the legs with Nu Stock Cream, Vaseline, Oil or similar. Work the cream/oils up under the scales and into the feet/legs at least once a week. This will do a couple of things. Smother SLM if there are any and help soothe/heal the dryish looking skin.

Video of his breathing may be helpful. Stress and heat can cause them to be off. If he's been kept inside fairly isolated, then it may be extremely stressful for him, especially if he's never really been outside.
That said, you will want to monitor closely for illness.

Do your best to keep him stress free. Vitamins/Electrolytes may be helpful, but do make plain water available.

Bringing him to new ground, it may be a good idea to treat for Coccidiosis after about a week. There's 9 strains of Coccidia that affect poultry. While he may have resistance to the strain(s) found in his previous environment, he may not to what's found at his new home. Couple with the stress of a move, he may be more susceptible to infection. Corid can be found at feed stores in the cattle section.

I hope this goes well for you and for him too.

Back
Top Bottom