Sick Rooster Behavior

peasant_girl

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
We have an almost 3-year-old brahma rooster that has been sick for weeks (at least 4). Two weeks ago we put him in a warm, secluded place in our barn. He had a respiratory infection and mites. We treated with Tylan, Ivermectin, liquid vitamins, and electrolytes. The respiratory disease and the mites are gone. His poop is normal. He does seem to be recovering, but it's slow. He only wants to eat treats like scratch grains, meal worms, and eggs. He won't touch his normal feed. He is drinking just fine.

We've tried putting him out in the run with the other chickens on warm days three times now. Unfortunately, every time we put him out there our silkie rooster goes after him and he runs away and hides and goes to sleep, which signals to me that he still isn't feeling well. He used to rule the coop, but now the silkie rules the coop.

Unfortunately, we did realize he was sick until he was really sick, and honestly, I'm surprised he pulled through. How long can it take for a chicken to completely recover from being ill?

He’s obviously gained weight and started crowing again today. His respiratory infection and mites are gone. His wings aren’t droopy anymore.

I put him out with the other chickens today, but our silkie rooster started attacking him and he went and hid under the coop stairs. I had to get him out and put him in the coop at bedtime. Does that mean he’s not well enough to go back with the flock? He’s been in isolation for close to three weeks now.

He does seem to be recovering, but it's slow. He only wants to eat treats like scratch grains, meal worms, and eggs. He won't touch his normal feed. He is drinking just fine.

We've tried putting him out in the run with the other chickens on warm days three times now. Unfortunately, every time we put him out there our silkie rooster goes after him and he runs away and hides and goes to sleep, which signals to me that he still isn't feeling well.

He’s obviously gained weight and started crowing again today. His respiratory infection and mites are gone. His wings aren’t droopy anymore.

I put him out with the other chickens today, but our silkie rooster started attacking him and he went and hid under the coop stairs. I had to get him out and put him in the coop at bedtime. Does that mean he’s not well enough to go back with the flock? He’s been in isolation for close to three weeks now.
Sounds like he's had a rough time. I'd wait for him to completely recover and see how he does.
It may be that he's lost his status within the flock and needs to be housed separately permanently.
Roosters are territorial of course and once he was gone; another rose up in status and is probably not willing to relinquish his reign.

But, it doesn't sound like the sick Brahma is in any shape to fight or he just doesn't want to. Take him out, keep him eating well. Encourage him to eat his normal feed, chick starter or an all flock feed. Egg, fish or meat are good sources of protein to give as treats a few times a week. Cut out the scratch and other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom