Adopting a Parrot or Cockatoo

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I got my chickens in January and have discovered a deep love for birds. I have one in my house now who is recovering from an injury but she is going back outside soon to rejoin her flock. I have decided to adopt a parrot or cockatoo. I am making a drive from MS to OH this weekend to meet several birds with a rescue and see if there is a connection.
Do any of you let your birds interact with your chickens? I'm considering building a small outdoor aviary to bring the bird outside with me some to sit while I watch my chickens in the evening. I have done all of my research and know what I am getting into and am ready for it. I'd love to hear your experiences owning both chickens and other indoor birds.

Depends on what you mean sitting watching the chickens sure (just as long as they don't start making mating dances or noises like mine did! It may mean the chickens are sexually frustrating to them!)
But putting them together or allowing them to touch? No way

Depends on what you mean sitting watching the chickens sure (just as long as they don't start making mating dances or noises like mine did! It may mean the chickens are sexually frustrating to them!)
But putting them together or allowing them to touch? No way
No not together. The parrot would be in a separate aviary cage. Just outside with me. I wouldn't let them touch at all.

No not together. The parrot would be in a separate aviary cage. Just outside with me. I wouldn't let them touch at all.
Yeah that's perfectly fine just as long as you pay attention to how the bird reacts! I have a post on here somewhere where i thought my female cockatiel was making chick noises but I found out she was actually doing mating behaviors haha

Also if you don't mind sharing where are you getting your bird from?
I have done a few video calls with the lady and met some of the birds available that way but she is a firm believer in letting the bird choose you so we are making the trip this weekend to see if there is a bond. She just had several parrots and cockatoos given to her this week also so she has several for me to hopefully make a connection with.

What kind if cockatoo do you have? She has a goffins cockatoo I am seriously considering. He is 19 and seems like he will be a great fit for my family. But I haven't heard much about the new birds she has now so I'm not sure what I'll wind up with. She has a 7 year old macaw also that may be an option for me also.
Yeah that's perfectly fine just as long as you pay attention to how the bird reacts! I have a post on here somewhere where i thought my female cockatiel was making chick noises but I found out she was actually doing mating behaviors haha

I have done a few video calls with the lady and met some of the birds available that way but she is a firm believer in letting the bird choose you so we are making the trip this weekend to see if there is a bond. She just had several parrots and cockatoos given to her this week also, so she has several for me to hopefully make a connection with.
Ooh that's a cool way to do it! When I got my birds, I always made sure the bird I got was the one that seemed most calm and interested in me. When I got my parakeet, it was like he was almost already completely tame!

What kind if cockatoo do you have? She has a goffins cockatoo I am seriously considering. He is 19 and seems like he will be a great fit for my family. But I haven't heard much about the new birds she has now so I'm not sure what I'll wind up with. She has a 7 year old macaw also that may be an option for me also.
I don't have a cockatoo I have a cockatiel and a parakeet, never owned any large birds

Back
Top Bottom