ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurenLauren2007, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kculbert

kculbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    We installed the door a couple of days ago and I absolutely love it! It took my husband a little longer than he thought to install but that was because he dropped the screws in the sand and couldn't find them (no comment). I stayed outside to watch it close the first night and it worked like a charm. My girls are late sleepers so it opens before they are ready to get up but the sound and the open door doesn't seem to bother them and they just stay on their roost until they are ready to come out of the coop. We are getting ready to leave town for a week and the ADOR1 is going to help immensely! I also think it looks kind of cool - very industrial chic.

2. RenegadeCocks

RenegadeCocks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013

Yes! Got the shipping confirmation....let's go Fedex -Let's go!! =)

3. Margiechickmom

Margiechickmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Rural NE North Carolina
    I installed mine today (well, I helped my husband install mine). I guess I need to use the programming feature because it was raining tonight and we had gone to run some errands. I came home to all of my chickens closed out of the coop. 2 of my juvenile SFH's were sitting in front of the doorway and the rest of them were on their outdoor coop, wet and miserable. I hope things look up once I try the programming (?) or is this just a fluke?

My chickens usually head in as soon as dusk approaches.

Has anyone else had this happen?

4. AdorStore

AdorStore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    TEXAS
    I have heard a few times when you first install the door that the chickens are accustomed to going in later and may get shut out the first few nights. It is best to watch them at the beginning. It is a good idea to use the Last Call feature for a while until your chickens learn when the door is going to shut ... I have heard a few testimonies how that trains them and that you don't need Last Call enabled for very long before they are trained. A dark rainy dusk also can cause the door to shut several minutes early and that may have been part of the reason for this first day bad experience. Of course, if there is some other problem please call me or email me.
    ROD
    AdorStore.com

5. Margiechickmom

Mar 4, 2013
    Rural NE North Carolina
    Thanks, Rod. It was pouring down rain by the time we got the door installed yesterday so I didn't have time to worry too much with looking at programming. It opened fine this morning so I'm sure it's working fine.

6. BY Chicken Lady

BY Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Overgaard, AZ

The first night my hen was with us she didn't make it in the coop in time. The next night she went inside with all the others. I think she was afraid of the strange door. After enjoying that strange door letting her out the next morning I think she got over it. Never had anyone locked out since.

7. Margiechickmom

Mar 4, 2013
    Rural NE North Carolina
    Well we went with the closing later program and tonight all 12 were safely locked in the coop. Yay for this door. I'm looking forward to not worrying about them while we're on vacation!

8. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    Mine were afraid of it the first night. I coaxed them in around their usual bed time by throwing some treats right inside the door. It still took them some time to go through to get the treats and as soon as the treats were gone, they went back outside. The rooster finally took the plunge and went through the door about 1/2 hour after their usual bed time. The hens followed him in. Fortunately, this was still about 10 minutes before dark. However, if I hadn't coaxed them in first, I think they may have decided to spend the night outside rather than trying that crazy door thingy. My guess is that your hens just were afraid of it the first night. I haven't had a problem since that first night. They all make it in on time (of course, they stampede out as soon as the door opens in the morning).

9. arkansaschicks

arkansaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    little rock
    So does anyone know a guess on an ETA if one was to order a door today? I love my first one so much I'm thinking of ordering another one for my second coop. It would just be great if I could get it before the 12th of July. It sounds like that might be a little difficult to fulfill :)

10. BY Chicken Lady

BY Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Overgaard, AZ
    Give Rod a call and ask him directly...he would be the best judge of how long it might take to get your door to you. I agree with you, the door is fantastic! If I build a second coop it will most definitely have an ADOR door!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by