ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

This guy kind of shows how he did it. But there may be more detailed plans out there.

That is pretty neat. I have to admit though, my hubby and I are not "do it yourselves" type people. I wish I had that sort of talent. I'm really liking the idea of opening a box, cutting a hole, sinking some screws, and TA DA.... automatic door! I really admire the time and talent that antenna door took though!
smile.png

I am building my first coop. I know I want a battery operated/solar automatic door because the only power will be an outdoor extension cord to power a light during winter to extend the daylight laying time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think the little white door in the pictures above operates with power and I worry about it being pulled open by critters. Help Please

I just purchased the Ador1. It claims to run off of a 6volt lantern battery for 3 years and they can be purchased from any store that sells batteries. It also has the option of adding a solar panel (which the owner claims is a waste of money). I haven't received the door yet, but once I do I will certainly post my review. I hope it lives up to my high expectations....
fl.gif

I have had the ADOR1 installed for a week and it is working like a champ. The gear drive on the door is a big improvement over the string pulled door. I will wait to judge the photo sensor until summer when the big tree is leafed out and the sun is more North East that South when it sets.

Installation was as easy as could get.

I think the little white door in the pictures above operates with power and I worry about it being pulled open by critters. Help Please

I think that almost all of the commercial auto doors are made to operate from battery power, often solar charged. The Ador1 which was the initial topic of this thread runs from batteries so inexpensive they can be easily (and not that often) replaced.

As to critterproof, I have the pullet-shut and I defy any critter to pry that door open. In all honesty, I think all the different brands have taken predator 'prying fingers' into account in their design.

The only further thing I can say is how nice it is not to make my first and last actions of the day be a trip to the coop to close the door. Also nice not to wake in the middle of the night with the 'OMG, I forgot to close up the coop door. The auto door has freed me to take vacations, while assuring my 'pet sitters' that the chickens are really no trouble at all.

Last edited:
I got it in about a week ago, but my coop won't come in until March 26th. I've got a little while to wait. I did take it out of the box to inspect it though. It seems to be very heavy duty. I didn't install the battery so I can't attest to how the sensor and door movement work, but I'm sure it will work as expected. It appears to be very very well made. I will post a better review add soon as I get it installed in the coop.

I got it in about a week ago, but my coop won't come in until March 26th. I've got a little while to wait. I did take it out of the box to inspect it though. It seems to be very heavy duty. I didn't install the battery so I can't attest to how the sensor and door movement work, but I'm sure it will work as expected. It appears to be very very well made. I will post a better review add soon as I get it installed in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom