ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Rod,

Thinking about a sensor to stop opening when it's too cold (too cold varies for all of us), DH and I were talking about just covering the photosensor when it's cold. What would be best. Would a magnet disrupt any of the electronics inside?

Thanks,

Same here. I have two flood lights for the back. They are not focused on the coop, but they do light up the coop area. This morning I put them on, and the door stayed shut.
Thank you Lauren and Moon for your reports regarding yard lights. Any more experiences out there?
ROD

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod,

Thinking about a sensor to stop opening when it's too cold (too cold varies for all of us), DH and I were talking about just covering the photosensor when it's cold. What would be best. Would a magnet disrupt any of the electronics inside?

Thanks,
Good question. Actually, the ADOR already has an internal temperature sensor. It is a matter of my having time to write the software to use it for the described purposes and of course I would make it user enabled/disabled. Also, it is an uncalibrated sensor and we would have to calibrate it which would be an added process. So even if you have an old ADOR, I might be bringing this feature out someday and possibly you could send in your board for an upgrade. The caveat is that the temperature is the temperature of the electronic board which, if the ADOR is on the outside wall, that's a pretty good estimation of the outside temperature; but if it is inside, the coop heat would of course interfere.
ROD
AdorStore.com

Rod,

Thanks,
DeerFang,
The photosensor is real sensitive... that may be hard to achieve to completely seal off the light. The ADOR has a feature called "Manual Mode" (versus Automatic Mode). If you want to close the door and leave it closed without pulling the battery out or trying to cover the sensor: you merely hold the button down to "JOG" the door down, and when it is shut, let go of the button. It is now going to stay shut forever. So you'd have to go back out there and pulse the button to return to AUTOMATIC mode. You can also force the door open and it will stay open by JOGGING the door upward (again you hold the button down). Warning: don't forget! You put it in that state forever. To return to automatic either pulse the button or interrupt the battery power.

Would a magnet disrupt the electronics? Maybe an MRI machine a few feet away, or the EMP from a nuclear explosion or lightning strike... no, you couldn't accidentally make a big enough magnetic field to mess it up. However, the ADOR uses magnets in the door to detect full up and full down but the sensor can only detect a strong magnet a fraction of an inch away. It would not be able to "see" a magnet on the front side of the electronics box.

ROD

Wow Rod, what forward thinking you have put into this door
cool.png

Printed out the "jog" instructions so we can play with the door :) during daylight tomorrow.

Had DH read the MRI/nuclear concerns - got a good laugh.

Any more experiences out there?
ROD
AdorStore.com

Our door closed a couple hours early when we had a bad (very dark except for the lightning) storm a couple of weeks ago. Opened it back up when we noticed it. It shut at the normal time later that evening. Hasn't happened since.

We also had one of the magnets come out. Put it back in easily along with some JB Weld.

Still very happy with it.

I am still content and waiting.

Called and Rod answered the phone very nice and helpful. I know mine is not in the batch they are not getting out right now but it is nice that they know exactly what place you are in line. Next wave of motor shipments woo hoo!

Thank You! The hardest part of waiting is not knowing and you made it a piece of cake!

Our ADOR1 has been installed and running for about a week now. LOVE IT! It has worked perfectly, not one problem. Very pleased with this piece of chicken paraphernalia.

Back
Top Bottom