ADORABLE Pekin needs loving home!

PeepMePosted

Chirping
14 Years
May 28, 2008
Altadena, CA
I just received this notice regarding a Pekin duck rescued by Valley Wildlife Care. I have 5 chickens and I know my girls would not take kindly to a web-footed interloper. Please help this sweet little duck in Southern California (I can send pictures upon request):

I am a female Pekin duck. I am sure I am a female because I layed an egg at VWC. Last week I was wandering around Reseda Park (CA) after someone dumped me there because they no longer wanted me. I am a Pekin duck so I can not fly and parks are a death sentence for ducks of my kind. A nice park ranger picked me up after he noticed that I had swallowed a fishing hook and it was protruding from the side of my neck. Animal control came and got me.

I am not a native wild bird so there were not many people willing to help me. VWC took me in regardless of my non native status. They performed surgery to remove the hook from my throat and neck and sutured me up.

This duck can not be returned to her originating location. Pekin ducks are the most commonly dumped pet as people purchase them when they are small cute and fuzzy. They grow up and are generally no longer wanted so they are dumped at parks, lakes, and ponds. They can not fly as they were originally bred for food having big heavy breasts and tiny wings. Therefore, living at a park is only a matter of time before something happens.

We took this duck in as we could not bear the thought of her being euthinized at the local shelter and, we knew we could help her medically.

Now is the hard part. She needs a forever home where someone will love her and care for her for the rest of her duck life. She is very friendly, follows us around and is eager to please. She has layed an egg every other day for the past 4 days.

If someone can help to provide a loving home for her, please contact us via e-mail. We have named her Chelsea.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Brenda Varvarigos, Executive Director
Valley Wildlife Care, a 501 (c) (3) non profit, volunteer organization
www.valleywildlifecare.org
6520 Platt Ave #203
West Hills, CA 91307
818-346-8247
Dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating California's orphaned and injured native wildlife.

Last edited:
Best of luck finding her a home!
smile.png

BTW, I have 22 chickens in 3 separate areas- due to a overload of roosters, 5 bantam roosters share a pen with 3 domestic Mallard ducks. Aside from the muddy mess the ducks make, they are all getting along great, after 4 months together.
lol.png

Last edited:
My 5 chickens get along great with their 1 single Pekin duck. Where 1 goes, they all go. So cute. I call "Duck-Duck" and the duck answers me from out of the bushes where they ALL are dust bathing. Duck-Duck is my ring-leader. She watches for hawks and when she flies under cover, the hens all fly after her.

Someone in CA should take this duck. They are a hoot....

This is just breaking my heart! My husband and I would love to take her but what do you think the chances are of integrating a new, grown duck with 5 spoiled, territorial old lady hens ? Our girls are in the 3 - 4 year old range and have mostly grown up together...and even THEY get into squabbles over who gets the favored nesting box! I'm afraid they would try to hurt the poor little duck, who it seems has had a tough life up till now. And besides, don't you have to keep ducks in a separate environment with water?

Peep, you'd need to introduce the duck the same way you'd introduce a new hen. Slowly. Especially with a bunch of grumpy old hens!
big_smile.png
BTW, the squabbling over a nest box is normal, lol.

Say I had a pen or run and was attempting such a move. I'd take wire fencing, separate off an area inside the run for the duckie. Put in a small baby pool, where when it's dumped and filled it won't flow all over the hen's area. A shelter of some sort for the duck, maybe an old doghouse you can lock her in at night for safety. Then I'd sit back and wait a month, or even two. Let them figure it out. Patience is truly a virtue when letting birds get aquainted.

Back
Top Bottom