Adorae’s Family Flock and Farm

Pics
And to finish the rest. A Cream Legbar and a BYM Whiting True Blue mix.
IMG_7736.JPG

The Bieleflders I think I have 2 boys.
IMG_7742.JPG

Welsummer girls
IMG_7746.JPG

The bigger Ayam Cemanis they are about 2 weeks older than the rest. They are not a fan of being touched.
IMG_7747.JPG

Not pictured are 2 Coronation Sussex mixes that hatched later, and another group of English Orpingtons that I just got 3 blues and a splash. So many plans! We will see how everyone grows out.

All the chicks are doing well. I'm going to need to made lids for the pack n plays so the babies can't try to fly out.
I think once these chicks grow out I may end this thread and start new threads for my various projects individually. This one has gotten pretty disjointed. Or I may keep this one for the egg laying flock.
My sister and BIL came over this weekend to help me with making a chicken tractor. We only got the base completed, but I feel like I can manage the rest and hopefully get it finish by this weekend. I need to separate Pudding the Dark Cornish from the rest of the flock, both for purity of eggs for my project as well as he's fighting with the other roosters and it just needs to happen. As soon as I got the eggs I need from him, I'll be processing him with a few other birds in April. I got a motor for the plucker and I want to make sure I can set everything up correctly and it work before I try to do a large batch of birds when the meat birds come of age.

So one of my little Lavender Ameraucanas has cross beak. I feel like it has gotten pretty bad in the last 2 weeks. As day olds, none of them had any indication of it.
IMG_7809.jpg

Everyone else is doing pretty good.
IMG_7806.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg

You can see cross beak right in the middle of this picture.

A few of my chicks started developing the poop balls on their toes. It's so weird that it is mostly happening pretty randomly to a few of the birds, but it seemed to affect all of my Silver Laced Orpingtons the worst. I had to give them a good soak last night to get it off their feet. They handled it pretty well. I'm calling 2 boys and 2 girls based off this photo.
IMG_7819.jpg

And then my other order of Orpington chicks showed up today. I'm really excited for these beautiful fluff balls to grow up. I have black, more Silver Laced, Lavender and split lavender, and 2 Chocolate Silver Laced. I was up super early this morning to pick them up from the Post Office this morning before work. I was up a lot of last night worrying about these poor babies because they had been in transit since Monday.
IMG_7821.jpg

Another big update. So my last shipped order of the Orpington chicks has not gone well. I start with 17, and now I am down to 6. Possibly soon to be 5. They started dyeing off one by one after I got them home. I'm not sure what happened to them during the shipping. They were in transit for 4 days. I have 3 SL left, 1 lavender, 1 lavender split, and 1 chocolate laced. The lavender chick isn't doing great and I won't be surprised if she is gone when I get home.
I got 3 Jubilee Orpingtons from a local breeder. Even those these chicks are 1/2 a week younger, they are much larger already than the shipped chicks. I feel like the shipped chicks are slowly starving. They all go crazy when I give them wet food that I've put enhanced water in, though it seems like they drink all the water from the food, and then ignore the food and water bowls in the brooder.

I moved all the first wave of chicks into the bigger coop. They seem to be pretty happy.

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7910.jpg

I'm starting to see bigger combs. It'll be interesting to see which ones turn out to be boys. Same of my BYM are really big already, and the Mystic Onyx are hefty, which makes sense because in their description it mentioned that they were originally designed to be meat birds.

The 6 Ayam Cemani I got seem to be pretty good quality, I haven't seen any white coming out in their feathers. It'll be interesting to see if their quality stays high when they hit adolescence.

Back
Top Bottom