Adult chicken integration advice needed

Buddys mom

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hi all,

I need some advice on if an integration of 2 small adult flocks might be possible without setting myself up for some major problems.

I currently have one very large heavy duty dog run that is divided in half with each half having their own coop. The coops are both on the small size. OverEZ is notorious for misleading on how many chickens will fit in their coops. And being a newbie I fell for a very expensive mistake. 😠 Anyway, the one side has a flock of 5 adults and the one has 6 adults, 2 of which are Brahmas. Tge Brahms side has a larger coop than the other side. Their partition has face to face contact and I've even seen them peck at each other through the fence. They are all very close in age. Around a year old.

Is it possible to remove a section of the partition and integrate these two flocks without major wars breaking out. If so, how in the world would it work out with the 2 coops. Sorry for the long post.

Try it under supervision. They've had long enough to become acquainted. Here's what you can expect, and understand that it's completely normal.

Upon gaining access to one another, the bolder chickens of each group will peck others of the opposite group on the head, both out of curiosity and greeting. A couple may actually appear to challenge others by flaring neck feathers and engage in very brief flogging. It may appear they are starting a gang war, but if you are patient and trust your chickens, they should have this little ritual all over and done with in a very short time with no injuries.

Try it under supervision. They've had long enough to become acquainted. Here's what you can expect, and understand that it's completely normal.

Upon gaining access to one another, the bolder chickens of each group will peck others of the opposite group on the head, both out of curiosity and greeting. A couple may actually appear to challenge others by flaring neck feathers and engage in very brief flogging. It may appear they are starting a gang war, but if you are patient and trust your chickens, they should have this little ritual all over and done with in a very short time with no injuries.
Hmm. Very interesting. 🙂 Thank you so much for the great and promising advice!

How do you think they'll handle still having two coops to deal with?

It's up to your chickens. But you may be in for a surprise.

I have two coops with a common run. I use the smaller coop to move young chicks into when they are ready to leave the brooder. Once they grow to adulthood, they often move to the larger coop of their own volition. Occasionally, chickens from the large coop will move back to the smaller coop, usually to escape bullying at roosting time. When they've had a sufficient break, they will move back to the large coop.

Having two coops so chickens have a choice where to sleep is a huge advantage to keeping a peaceful flock.

It's up to your chickens. But you may be in for a surprise.

I have two coops with a common run. I use the smaller coop to move young chicks into when they are ready to leave the brooder. Once they grow to adulthood, they often move to the larger coop of their own volition. Occasionally, chickens from the large coop will move back to the smaller coop, usually to escape bullying at roosting time. When they've had a sufficient break, they will move back to the large coop.

Having two coops so chickens have a choice where to sleep is a huge advantage to keeping a peaceful flock.
I never thought of it that way. It's good to know that it might be a good thing after all. I really appreciate all of your help. I'll be giving it a try then. As soon as I get brave enough that is. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom