Adult chickens with "pasty butt"??

Following...I too have a hen who is getting a poopy butt all the time lately. She's my best egg layer and lays huge eggs and is laying fine. It started after I gave them Rooster Booster as a de-wormer on the advice of a vet since they were about 6 months and never been de-wormed, so I thought that might be it. A couple of others have/had a little poop on their feathers but not to the extent of Thelma. We wiped off what we could and then cut the feathers that we couldn't clean. I thought maybe since it is getting colder, they are putting on more fluff for winter? Do chickens do that? She does not have diarrhea, just loose poop. At least that is what I'm seeing in the coop in the mornings. Outside, the poop is all normal. I always have ACV and garlic cloves in their water and they are on organic feed. They free range all day. Oh and she is a Golden Comet if that helps.

@Wyorp Rock

She is about 30 weeks.. No eggs yet from her. I felt inside her and I don't feel and egg.. I went an inch but no further, she seemed very tight and her muscles were pulsating the whole time. Although.. She did shoot out fluid after the first time I inserted my finger? She's eat all organic layer pellets, water is always available, she eat cucumbers, raspberries, bananas, and lots of greens from the garden.

I hope the video I attached worked.. It almost seems like she can't see? But I know she can bc she runs from me haha.. When she pecks she pecks the air .. Like she can't reach the ground? It's weird

[/URL]
Make sure she has a source of grit available. Even though chickens can find most "suitable" grit in the soil, I do recommend offering Granite Poultry Grit that if found at your local feed store as well.

It looks like she may have had a prolapse. This could be that she is coming into lay an may be getting ready to lay an egg that may be a bit large. Also is could be due to constipation or crop impaction, since you mention that her crop had not emptied overnight.

Continue to keep the vent cleared and if still show signs of swelling give a soaking in warm epsom salts bath and apply hemorrhoid cream or honey for swelling.

For crop issue give wet feed which should be easier to digest and plenty of water plus grit (free choice), cut out her treats/other foods for a day or so to see if it goes down. If it doesn't go down (will fluctuate in size during the day when eating/drinking) you may need to treat her for impacted crop. (links below)

Check the crop when she goes to bed, then first thing in the morning before eating/drinking to see if it has emptied.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Following...I too have a hen who is getting a poopy butt all the time lately. She's my best egg layer and lays huge eggs and is laying fine. It started after I gave them Rooster Booster as a de-wormer on the advice of a vet since they were about 6 months and never been de-wormed, so I thought that might be it. A couple of others have/had a little poop on their feathers but not to the extent of Thelma. We wiped off what we could and then cut the feathers that we couldn't clean. I thought maybe since it is getting colder, they are putting on more fluff for winter? Do chickens do that? She does not have diarrhea, just loose poop. At least that is what I'm seeing in the coop in the mornings. Outside, the poop is all normal. I always have ACV and garlic cloves in their water and they are on organic feed. They free range all day. Oh and she is a Golden Comet if that helps.

You may want to take a fecal sample to your vet for confirmation of any worms. Rooster Booster de-wormer is effective on round worms, cecal worms and capillary worms, but not tapeworms.
Some hens do get poopy butts more than others. I do have to trim one of my girls a couple of times a year. The best way to clean them up is to have a tub of warm soapy water (dish liquid is fine). Let them soak for a few minutes then work the poop out of the feathers (wear gloves
big_smile.png
) In the Summer I just pat dry and let them go, in winter/colder weather make sure you get them dry (hairdryer) before they go back outside.

Chickens also have 2kinds of poop. One is the "normal" poop, the other is "cecal" poop. The cecal poop is looser and (pardon me) more like pudding consistency. They will have a cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops.

Depending on how old your girls are they may go through a molt and re-grow feathers. This generally is in the fall when they are around 16-18months of age.

I am at a loss with her.. she has been like this for almost 4 days now. I don't know how she can still have any energy. I am syringe feeding her water (with corrid incase of cocci) and yogurt. Her poops have turned to either water or emerald green. She is still not eating or drinking unless forced. I put her in a warm bath last night and felt again for an egg and I don't feel anything, but not certain I'm doing it right- every time I check she shoots out fluid.. do you think I'm in her intestine instead of where the egg is? I feel this lump on the right side of her breast bone.. its hard, but not very big at all.. it feels like a large kidney bean. I just don't know what to do with her! @Wyorp Rock Any suggestions? was the corrid a bad idea? can I still give ACV and yogurt with corrid.

I am at a loss with her.. she has been like this for almost 4 days now. I don't know how she can still have any energy. I am syringe feeding her water (with corrid incase of cocci) and yogurt. Her poops have turned to either water or emerald green. She is still not eating or drinking unless forced. I put her in a warm bath last night and felt again for an egg and I don't feel anything, but not certain I'm doing it right- every time I check she shoots out fluid.. do you think I'm in her intestine instead of where the egg is? I feel this lump on the right side of her breast bone.. its hard, but not very big at all.. it feels like a large kidney bean. I just don't know what to do with her! @Wyorp Rock Any suggestions? was the corrid a bad idea? can I still give ACV and yogurt with corrid.

Can you take her to a vet?

A photo or video of her and her actions may be helpful.

Corid is mild, so it won't hurt to give her that.

Can she walk?
The green poop can be an indication that she is not eating enough. See if she will eat some hard boiled or scrambled egg. Since you are syringing water into her, you may need to consider tube feeding her if she still won't eat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Our 8 1/2 year old barred rock has a bad case of pasty butt. She had the same problem last summer and I bathed her gradually getting her clean. It is cold here now, but maybe 70 degrees tomorrow (very unusual). Even 70 seems cool to work on this old lady. I used to be able to pick her up, but not in the last few years. Please, any suggestions?

Our 8 1/2 year old barred rock has a bad case of pasty butt. She had the same problem last summer and I bathed her gradually getting her clean. It is cold here now, but maybe 70 degrees tomorrow (very unusual). Even 70 seems cool to work on this old lady. I used to be able to pick her up, but not in the last few years. Please, any suggestions?

Hi @chickadee2 If you are needing to clean her up during cold weather, bring her inside or to a warmer area like a basement or garage. I would start fairly early during the day, wash her up and dry her well with a hair dryer set on low heat, but make sure she does not get too warm. If your day is going to be sunny and fairly warm (70's), wait until the day warms to put her back outside. Monitor her when she goes back out for any signs that she seems cold or feeling off.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom