Adult duck laying "fairy eggs"

sarahc63

Chirping
Jun 29, 2016
Ohio
Out of the last five eggs that my Blue Swedish duck named Donna has laid, two have been very small "fairy eggs". She is about 2 1/2 years old and has never laid a fairy egg before, even when she first began laying. Donna has also been looking a little thin and scruffy lately, which is a little concerning to me when combined with the fairy eggs. I weighed her today and she came in at 4lbs 9oz. She has always been fairly close in weight to my other duck, a Cayuga named Maggie, who weighed in at 5lbs 4oz today. However I haven't weighed either duck since last summer, so I'm not sure whether that's much to draw conclusions from. Maggie is near the end of her fall molt and Donna looks to be starting hers. Donna is behaving as her usual self - always very excited to come out of the run to forage and swim in the pool.

Should I be worried or are the fairy eggs normal at the start/end of a laying cycle, even for an adult duck?

Fairy eggs are usually when hens are starting up or shutting down for the season. This time of year most adult poultry hens will stop laying and molt. Yours looks ratty probably because she needs to molt or has already started to.

I would like to ask a question about duck eggs. I am trying to find out how much a normal duck egg weighs? Have a recipe that calls for duck eggs and I need to replace it with Chicken Eggs.

I would like to ask a question about duck eggs. I am trying to find out how much a normal duck egg weighs? Have a recipe that calls for duck eggs and I need to replace it with Chicken Eggs.
Duck eggs vary quite a bit in weight based on the breed of duck, but I would say the average is probably 80-90 grams.

Back
Top Bottom