Adult Female Japanese Coturnix Quail seeking same

janen_33

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Hi,

We have a 2 year old female Japanese Coturnix Quail that needs a friend. Does anyone know of or have one or maybe 2 for sale? We'd take a rooster, but aren't sure if we can have another rooster in our pen (we have 4 chickens (hens), a pair of Amherst pheasants, and the 1 single quail).

Would love any advice or help finding Ms. Quail a friend.

Thank you,
Jane

Hi there, and welcome to BYC!

Where (approx) are you located? I'll bet there's someone on here who can hook you up, but you'll want to find someone near where you are. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and can hook you up if you can get here. I've got plenty o quail.
smile.png

Try craigslist for your area too!

Hi Iamcuriositycat,

Thanks for responding so quickly! We are in the Northwest (Carnation, WA). I've posted a "want ad" for our girl, so I'm hoping to get some feedback soon. She makes a lot of noise, which I understand is her trying to call in more quail.

We didn't purchase or ask for her, our friend just dropped her off thinking we'd be good caregivers since we have the other birds - but she's all alone....anyway, do you think it's still ok to introduce another 1 or 2 females as long as they're adults and of the same breed? We're not quail savvy so I'm going with what I've read: it's better to stay within the same breed....although I realize this too, can be subjective....We just really want her to be happy...she lives with 4 chickens and a pair of Lady Amherst Pheasants. The chickens sometimes chase her, but the pheasants are so NICE to her (no chasing, she hangs out with the female a lot)!

Thanks for any advice you can give us.

Jane

Well, I'm relatively new to quail, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But we have had good luck mixing adults with other adults most of the time. Be careful NOT to introduce birds who have just reached maturity to adult birds, though--we have had terrible pecking problems when we've done that. And sometimes some adults just don't get along well for no apparent reason, but most of the time they do fine. Just keep an eye on them.

Good luck getting your quail--I'm obviously WAY too far for you, lol, but maybe someone on here can help you.
smile.png

Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure we get a 'full' adult vs. newly matured. She's such a cutie pie, and we feel badly she's alone. So, do you know if you can have 2 roosters of completely different breeds in the same pen?

If and when you get another, take the original bird out of the cage for a few minutes, move the feeders and such around in the cage, and put them both in at the same time . . .

I have a bunch, but Im in Ca.
Craigslist should have plenty for you . . .

I do not understand what you mean with different breed of Japanese Coturnix. There are color varieties but they are not different breeds. I raise them and ship all over the U.S.If you are not planning to breed the one you have, I would get a couple ladies for her. That way she has company, but you can make quail omlettes from their eggs
wink.png

I have a sad little lonely girl too, the only time she stops singing is when I cuddle her. I just dont want to hatch like 24+ eggs when I have a nice suro and high hatch rates. I wish I could buy like *6* quail eggs. I only want a small group of them. Cotournix are so cool! She is so much calmer than my buttons which are the flakiest birds I've ever seen..

I sell Coturnix Eggs in small quantities
smile.png
6 eggs but I include extras just in case
tongue.png
And your choice of color or an assortment.

Back
Top Bottom