Adult rooster scared of everyone

How many hens do you have and how big is their coop/run or area that they are kept in? The Brahma probably did want to kill him that is just their nature especially if they do not have enough hens and enough space each. If the cockerel isn’t bloodying up the older one then they might be able to co-exist, but if the cockerel ends up going out for blood he will not stop until he gets it.
They have a pretty big garden for themselves, with 2 houses (real old houses) that they can get in and out so the space is not really a problem. The ratio was 30 hens to 2 roosters, i tought keeping the ratio high would destroy the posibility of the roosters fighting, and it did for 2.5 years, last week the brahma out of the blue went for the older one (they never fought), he drew blood so i separated the old one.

They have a pretty big garden for themselves, with 2 houses (real old houses) that they can get in and out so the space is not really a problem. The ratio was 30 hens to 2 roosters, i tought keeping the ratio high would destroy the posibility of the roosters fighting, and it did for 2.5 years, last week the brahma out of the blue went for the older one (they never fought), he drew blood so i separated the old one.
That sudden change in co-existence can happen when they see a weakness, illness or just slowing down in the older ones. Once that happens there is no going back unless you permanently separate.

Yes. If you absolutely want the rooster be the top rooster, then get rid of the cockerel. Whether he is getting bullied or not, the rooster doesn't really care about securing the first spot in the pecking order

That sudden change in co-existence can happen when they see a weakness, illness or just slowing down in the older ones. Once that happens there is no going back unless you permanently separate.
Thank you guys for the advice, i will let "nature" do it's thing and for the pecking order to establish itself, thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom