Adult w/ broken ankle and/or toes (with pictures)

Lockmat

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2021
My 2 year old hen’s toes or ankle is broken.

I heard it crack as I stepped on it trying to rescue it from a dog chasing her.

It’s red, swollen, she won’t put any weight on it and keeps the toes curled.

We put her in a dog cage with food and water.

How much would a vet charge me to possibly set the bones in place (if even needed) and wrap her up? I’d like to take her but honestly don’t want to pay too much.

From what I’ve read from other threads we can give her baby aspirin for pain, that she will most likely be okay, that if the toes stay curled it will heal in that same position. I’ve seen videos on how to wrap a splint for legs, but I don’t think it’s her leg that needs it…it’s her ankle or toes. Do the toes need to be straightened and splinted? Is any of that info wrong?

In the photo she is standing but since then she has only sat.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. I’m sad for her

Attachments

• 186E81A8-4A5F-4ADD-84E5-4073553D91CE.jpeg
    186E81A8-4A5F-4ADD-84E5-4073553D91CE.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 61
  • F7E7A5DF-C6B1-4467-BC09-C452B5CC51C2.jpeg
    F7E7A5DF-C6B1-4467-BC09-C452B5CC51C2.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 37
Do nothing beyond confining her and providing her something like chick feed with the water you are already doing. Her foot being held up like that helps hold the break in place to mend. Keep her quite with minimal disturbance.

My birds with broken legs will disappear for a few days in a hidden location like in garage or doghouse. After a week or so they come out limping. Another week later and the break is healed, hopefully in a straight manner.

Based on her feathering she has other health issues that need to be addressed.

I would look her over well for any punctures or wounds, and also on the leg for any open wound. Here is a good video which you may have seen of a compound fracture just above the ankle:

If you don’t splint, I would keep her in a pen or crate with food and water to limit her activity.

Do nothing beyond confining her and providing her something like chick feed with the water you are already doing. Her foot being held up like that helps hold the break in place to mend. Keep her quite with minimal disturbance.

My birds with broken legs will disappear for a few days in a hidden location like in garage or doghouse. After a week or so they come out limping. Another week later and the break is healed, hopefully in a straight manner.

Based on her feathering she has other health issues that need to be addressed.
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom