Adults ducks not accepting babies

Gmilojev

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
Hi there. So we have two adults females and a drake. One of the females had two babies, the first time about 2 months ago. We separated the mom and babies with chicken wire. We tried to introduce the other female to the babies at 4 weeks but she went to attack them then to the drake and he did the same. Today we tried to introduce the female to just the female baby and she was grabbing her head with her beak and then was getting rough so we put them back. Will they ever live happily together? Also the female baby has been picking at the male baby and causing some bleeding. Tonight I separated the male baby on his own to avoid injury. Is this okay?? We are first time parents and not entirely sure what to do here. Appreciate any input.

So your broody hen hatched chicks and you seperated the ducklings from their mom? And now you want to put them back together? Why didnt you just leave them with Mom? How old are they? How big is your coop? How big is your run? Do you have a place for the ducklings to hide? Sorry for the questions but people need more info.

i have chickens but what i would say to do is separate the ducklings and the ducks and wait until there older to put them to gather again i have chickens not ducks so its most likely not the same. hope that helps

So your broody hen hatched chicks and you seperated the ducklings from their mom? And now you want to put them back together? Why didnt you just leave them with Mom? How old are they? How big is your coop? How big is your run? Do you have a place for the ducklings to hide? Sorry for the questions but people need more info.
So I only separated the one chick last evening because the other chick was picking at him and he was bleeding and I don’t understand why that is happening. The mom and chicks are separated normally together from the drake and other female. The chicks are about 8 weeks old. Our coop is about 8x 10 with an upper level and the run I presume you mean the outdoor area? It’s bigger than the inside. The chicks don’t really have a safe place to hide. The other problem is that the other adult duck and drake are not taking a liking to the chicks and I wonder if that will ever change.

The ducklings are 2 months old?
The one picking on the other is normal. They usually pick and grab a blood feather and that what makes them look like they are bleeding.
Can the adult ducks see the ducklings on a daily basis?
What type of ducks?

Back
Top Bottom