Advanced curled toe paralysis?

moonsynth

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I have a batch of 51 Freedom Rangers, 15 days old. They all arrived healthy, and did well until 2 days ago. When I went to check on them Tuesday morning one chick was walking on it's ankles, toes curled up. I moved her into a separate brooder so she wouldn't get picked on. My Chicken Health handbook led me to the conclusion that it's curly toe paralysis. I'm feeding an organic starter/grower 22% feed, produced locally. I went and got some Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer, and supplemented all the feed with it at 60lbs/ton of feed. The Nutri-balancer contains all the riboflavin that a chick should need, plus the riboflavin that was already in the feed. I figured this would fix the curled toe paralysis. By Tuesday night I put 2 more chicks who were starting to show signs in the separate brooder. By Wednesday night the first chicks legs were stretched straight back behind the chick, toes straight out. If I put her legs under her she flaps around until her legs are behind her again. She is still eating and drinking from what I can tell. Her crop was full once when I checked on her. This morning (2 days since start of trouble) The first chick was the same, legs back and the other 2 chicks looked better, standing up correctly, moved them back to main brooder. I gave the crippled chick polyvisol this afternoon.

So the question is: at what point is curled toe paralysis permanent? How long do I let her suffer? She seems to squawk loudly once and a while, when she is trying to move around. Her legs are getting raw where they are in contact with the pine shaving bedding. But most of the time she seems relaxed.

What's the best way to cull a chick? This is the first time I've ever raised chickens.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Should have done this first:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
freedom ranger, 15 days old, about 9 oz

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
toes curled, walking on haunches, then next day, legs stretched out behind chick

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? 2 others, but their better now
r
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Riboflavin deficiency

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Cold Springs Farm organic 22% starter/grower

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Mixed in Fertrell Nutribalancer to food at suggested rate. Feed already contained normal vit/minerals

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Nope...

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Pine shavings.

It does sound like a vitamin deficiency or maybe some of the chicks ate something they shouldnt have. Some extra vitamins and minerals and probiotics made for chickens may help.

This morning when I peeked in on her, she had her feet mostly under her and she was chowing down. Good sign! I hope it's not a fluke. It's funny how quickly you get invested in these little guys. I just want them to have as nice a life as possible for their 10 weeks. Celebration worms?

Thanks Tiki, the chick is totally better. She went out to the paddock with the rest of the flock this morning. She is standing straight up and running around like crazy. I wish I knew what helped her: the polyvisol or the NutriBalancer.

Last edited:
I purchased a Cream Legbar trio that were about 4 weeks old. I was told that they were vaccinated. After a week in quarantine they were put in with 2 week old Ameraucana chicks. After 3 weeks it was clear that the CL's were not growing as the chicks were now the same size as the CL. The cockerel started showing signs of toe paralysis, 1st on one foot, then both until he could only hobble around, then both legs were spread out in different directions. After some research I determined that he was Riboflavin deficient. I've since put him back into quarantine. He eats and drinks and poops normal. He looks healthy other than his feet. The riboflavin deficiency was most likely a pre-existing condition prior to purchase. Even though he looked healthy, he was borderline. My chick starter feed was apparently not high enough in riboflavin either throwing him over the edge. It's now been 4 days, 2 on a vitamin enriched diet with no signs of improvement. One of his pullet companions also has developed symptoms in one foot, but has not gotten any worse as all the chicks are getting extra vitamins now and fresh chopped spinach which is high in riboflavin.
The Merck Veterinary Manual website has been very helpful, but I do not know how long to expect to get results or is this condition permanent and have to eventually cull the bird?
The seller of the birds (who is also a breeder) says she has not seen any issues with her chicks, but that she bought the birds from another breeder out of state. Do I ask her for replacement chicks if I have to cull mine? Keeping in mind that I paid top dollar for the trio at $75.

I purchased a Cream Legbar trio that were about 4 weeks old. I was told that they were vaccinated. After a week in quarantine they were put in with 2 week old Ameraucana chicks. After 3 weeks it was clear that the CL's were not growing as the chicks were now the same size as the CL. The cockerel started showing signs of toe paralysis, 1st on one foot, then both until he could only hobble around, then both legs were spread out in different directions. After some research I determined that he was Riboflavin deficient. I've since put him back into quarantine. He eats and drinks and poops normal. He looks healthy other than his feet. The riboflavin deficiency was most likely a pre-existing condition prior to purchase. Even though he looked healthy, he was borderline. My chick starter feed was apparently not high enough in riboflavin either throwing him over the edge. It's now been 4 days, 2 on a vitamin enriched diet with no signs of improvement. One of his pullet companions also has developed symptoms in one foot, but has not gotten any worse as all the chicks are getting extra vitamins now and fresh chopped spinach which is high in riboflavin.
The Merck Veterinary Manual website has been very helpful, but I do not know how long to expect to get results or is this condition permanent and have to eventually cull the bird?
The seller of the birds (who is also a breeder) says she has not seen any issues with her chicks, but that she bought the birds from another breeder out of state. Do I ask her for replacement chicks if I have to cull mine? Keeping in mind that I paid top dollar for the trio at $75.
75 dollars for 3!? I paid £8 for two pullets, guess that’s the difference here. Also, i think i have the same problem with my chick, she’s been on vitamins for 2 months

It is more likely that your young birds are suffering from Marek's disease than riboflavin deficiency. Cream Legbars are one of the breeds that are particularly prone to it. Their age and the fact that you got them as youngsters from someone who got them from the breeder means that there is an increased risk that the vaccine did not have time to work before they were exposed to the virus or maybe they were not even vaccinated for Marek's. Few private breeders are able to vaccinate for Marek's because the vaccine comes in 1000 dose quantity and needs to be used within an hour once the active agents are mixed, so the logistics of a small private breeder who has less than 20 chicks hatching at once using the vaccine are unlikely. The chicks then need to be kept under quite strict bio security for 3 weeks after vaccination to prevent expose to the virus in order for the vaccine to develop in the bird's system. Many people do not have the facilities to do this either or do not understand what is required.
If you should lose a bird, you would be well advised to have a professional necropsy done at your state veterinary diagnostics lab. As regards a refund or replacement, you can only try. It depends how much the breeder you bought from values their reputation but I imagine if they bought these chicks, they also will have paid a pretty penny for them and will not want to end up out of pocket, (not like they bred them themselves and can easily replace them) so you may not be successful.

Edited to add.....

The OP's chicks are too young for Marek's and most likely are suffering from vitamin deficiency, especially with a grain mix feed where the added vitamins and essential amino acids are not always homogenously mixed into the feed.

Back
Top Bottom