advantage to a unique username

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
I've seen a number of occasions where people express interest in protecting their privacy. (good and smart) However, they have a unique username that google quickly shows the same username used across many internet platforms. So, if you don't want somebody to see your persona across these platforms, do not reuse your username. If it's the same distinctive username used at twitter/instagram/etsy/random-fetish-site - your privacy here (and there) is much less guarded.

PLUS - if you use the same password across all of these platforms and one of them gets compromised, your password is compromised to all of them.

ADMINS: if it is possible on the Registration page, it could be worth changing the existing:
This is the name that will be shown with your messages. You may use any name you wish.

to include something along the lines of:
Using the same username that you do at other sites may compromise your privacy.

Last edited:
I think not using the same username/password across platforms for security purposes is common knowledge.
Most people who use the same username want people to find them across platforms, (free advertising) and those who don't should simply not use the same user name. I believe you can have it changed on BYC if you have concerns.
Your concerns are warranted but the use of a username is at the discretion of the user, not byc.
What are doing looking up people's username on google?

I think not using the same username/password across platforms for security purposes is common knowledge.
Most people who use the same username want people to find them across platforms, (free advertising) and those who don't should simply not use the same user name. I believe you can have it changed on BYC if you have concerns.
Your concerns are warranted but the use of a username is at the discretion of the user, not byc.
What are doing looking up people's username on google?
Sometimes "common knowledge" goes right along with "common sense."

Google can sometimes produce better / faster results than the site search engine when adding site:backyardchickens.com

Sometimes "common knowledge" goes right along with "common sense."

Google can sometimes produce better / faster results than the site search engine when adding site:backyardchickens.com
By "common knowledge goes tight along with common sense", I assume you finished that mentally with "out the window". Yes, I agree. :]
That's a good idea, I'll have to remember that when trying to find threads.

Back
Top Bottom