Announcement PSA: Passwords, Security, and Hackers... OH MY!!!!!

Bumping this important thread with a little extra PSA:

I've always wondered how much the big platforms (with all their money, AI, etc.) can do to stop scammers.

... and then I watched the video below. Brilliant!

Scammer is making $1,000 a day off of scamming people on just ONE channel! Insane.

... and I bet his channel's demographic is probably a little more tech-savy than most. Scary how many people are getting scammed out there!

I've always wondered how much the big platforms (with all their money, AI, etc.) can do to stop scammers.

Scammer is making $1,000 a day off of scamming people on just ONE channel! Insane.

... and I bet his channel's demographic is probably a little more tech-savy than most. Scary how many people are getting scammed out there!

Watched. Interesting. Scum

Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing that.

Sadly it's super common. Even reporting them doesn't do anything, goog doesn't care as long as those ads keep serving to subscribers.

Bumping this thread. There must have been a big data-breach on the interwebs because a lot of people are having their facebook, etc. passwords and accounts hacked.

In fact, just a few days ago a friend on FB messenger asked me for $300. I replied asking that they text me the request... and they went radio silent. A few hours later my real friend replied that their account was hacked.

PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Do NOT use the same password on multiple sites
  2. Use passwords that are unique and complex
  3. Change your passwords from time to time
For the "important" sites, use two-factor authentication (we even support it here on BYC).

I'll add the following to make all of @Nifty-Chicken's suggestions easier:

4. Learn how to use a password manager.

You can start small and keep only a couple of passwords in it until you are comfortable with how it works and if a particular manager meets all of your needs. Make sure the data is backed up so you can't somehow lose access. I've been using one for years and keep other small, but important data in there as well.

Last edited:
I always keep my passwords written down in a notebook as well as in the password manager…just in case something should happen where I wasn’t able to access the password manager.

Just my two cents…:)

Back
Top Bottom