Adventures with Jimmy Fuzzbutt and Friends

So this week's lesson on donkeys... the only thing a donkey hates more than not being in charge is not being the center of attention. I've been working a lot lately and haven't had a ton of time to spend with my animals. My poor Romeo (Paint) has been feeling very neglected so I went to spend some more time with him yesterday and today. Yesterday I rode him around our pasture bareback for a while, which he very much appreciated. Anyways, I get back and Fuzz does not like that he has been left out. So I'm opening up the gate to leave, and he ducks his head and walks right between my legs until I am over his back and just stands like, "Okay, I'm ready, my turn!"😂 Today, I worked on clicker training with Fuzz, then I worked with Romeo. When I went to put the halter on Romeo, Fuzz came up and kept trying to stand between us then picked up Romeo's lead rope and held it up to me! Romeo was NOT impressed!

So I ground drove Fuzzbutt today, it took a couple tries for him to realize that I was supposed to be behind him. Once he understood though, I think he enjoyed being in front. I think it made him feel in charge and stoked his little ego. Whenever I went to turn him though, he was like, "Wait a second, I was going that way, why are we going this way?!?" Once he got turned though and was straight he perked right up and looked like he was thinking, "Yes! I'm in charge again!"

Just thought I'd update on Fuzz's progress. He is doing very well ground driving all over the county roads. I haven't gotten a harness yet so I'm just doing it with a halter and leads, but I've got him walking and trotting on verbal cue and occasionally turning with gee and haw before I apply rein pressure. I'm so excited for him to get a bit older, get a harness and cart, and start working on actually pulling!

Back
Top Bottom