Adverse Possession - Check this out

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jerseygirl1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am posting this because Sonoransilkies brought up an excellent point on my earlier post - My property being used by our neighbors with our knowledge - With that, I contacted our attorney (we live in New York) and he said the time limit is 10 years and is based on ownership, meaning, if we sell, the ten year limit starts all over again. It is also very difficult to prove in New York State, even if they tried. So, all homeowners, if you have neighbors or family that has neighbors, check your local laws on squatter's rights - it's important even if you think it will never happen, it may. Our neighbors would have to file at the county for property rights, and could only do it after 10 years, and even then, they would have to legally notify us that they were going to try and do this. It can't just be assumed that it is then theirs. There are many legalities involved, but it can be done, albeit I don't think anyone would allow it.

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Good to know. [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think in Illinois its 20 years, but it can happen. Sometimes we get too comfortable and then get a royal you know what!!!

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I sure do hope you get your property surveyed. Then your neighbors won't have anything to say in the matter.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    [​IMG]

Oh, yes, we had it surveyed when we moved in - THEN we showed it to the neighbors

6. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Humm, we have woods on our one side I think the township owns it, so does that mean i can clear out a bit and put a coop there and in 10 years own it [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:hehehehe..good question! I have the same thing..woods on one side that the town owns..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by