Advice about rooster

There is a HUGE difference between a rooster and a dog. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure they are both animals but apples and oranges are both fruit. The similarities end right there.

There is a HUGE difference between a rooster and a dog. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure they are both animals but apples and oranges are both fruit. The similarities end right there.

What is the difference between a rooster and a dog in your opinion? I've bought roosters that costed more then my dog and have more expensive feed etc

Bout the only thing I have to say to that is id love to see a rooster learn to sit, lay down, or roil over, even speak on command. There is a difference and it is huge. I'm not gonna argue or attempt to change minds. Sorry I even gave my opinion. As they say opinion are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Haha. Y'all have a great day.

There is a big difference between chickens and dogs....
.....but there is no difference when it comes to the inability of humans to strive to truly understand an animals behaviors and then act accordingly to modify that animals behaviors.

Most folks who get attacked by roosters don't have the skills or knowledge to be able to effectively change a roosters mindset. Often there are children involved which makes it dangerous. The same happens with dogs everyday too. That's one reason why the pounds are full of dogs. If there was a place for people to take their troublemaking roosters I'm sure those would be full too. The facts of life is there are too many roosters and not enough common farm knowledge anymore. Butchering a rooster is better than it being kicked around because it won't stop attacking.

Another huge difference is in how we perceive the importance of the life of one animal over another.   People are so quick to dispose of a rooster but will suffer a dog to live, even after it's killed other animals and even bitten humans.  Now, I'm not any kind of animal lover bleeding heart and will kill a chicken for food, out of mercy, etc.  any old day of the week, but I fail to understand the almost pervasive opinion on BYC that any rooster that dares to flog a human should be considered aggressive and immediately killed for it. 

As was pointed out, roosters aren't quite so bright as a dog, which SHOULD put more of a responsibility on a dog to understand more clearly when it crosses the line, compared to the limited abilities of a rooster to understand.  Right?  So why then give up so easily on a rooster and not a dog?  He can't very well help it he has less understanding and it's up to his owner to at least try and help him understand the boundaries between human and bird, but that's not the advice I see so often given on here.  Nope.  It's usually a very quick "OFF with his head!!!" and much delight is associated with the idea of it.  Then it's followed by  a "plenty of fish in the sea" attitude wherein one can just go on getting more roosters until they find one that doesn't need any work or isn't spoiled by the human themselves to the degree that it's confused. 

It's just very weird to me, is all, and that's why I even commented on it....out of a group of people who are normally so soppy about animals that it's quite sickening, to then read about how quickly they want people to kill a rooster for the simple act of acting out of instinct.  These roosters are animals too and they CAN be taught to behave differently if a person wants to put a good effort into the teaching. 
this is the best reply I have read on this forum. Excellently worded and very true, thanks

Last edited:
I am subscribing because I can see merit in both sides of the debate and I am interested to hear more opinions.

However, I would not “suffer a dog” [or a rooster] that has shown aggression towards a child, regardless of how much training he may have had or is going to have in the future. There is no guarantee that he would not attack again and while it would be my decision to take that risk on my person, definitely not with a child involved. I would not want to be sitting in a Hospital, holding a seriously injured child’s hand and thinking “I should have …”

Back
Top Bottom