Advice after dog attack

ErinLeah

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
My three beautiful chicken were brutally attacked by a neighboors pit bull who broke into our yard a few days ago. I took all three to the animal hospital where two had to be euthanized. I couldn’t kill them myself as they are pets raised from chicks. Once chicken came hime and now I’m giving her meds twice a day. She won’t leave the coop and it’s obvious she’s a nervous reck because she shakes when anyone comes near. She was the “rooster-hen” before- it’s sad to see her this way.
My question is- chickens need a flock, right? After her wounds heal (her back is torn up) I was thinking about getting a couple more birds. For her comfort, would it be better to get pullets or full-grown birds? Folks in my community have offered me some of their birds- the one that interests me is a woman who offered me 15 month (that’s how old our girls were) Isa Browns or Calico Princesses. Super sweet of her. Thoughts? Pullet or adult?

So sorry for your losses!
She does need flockmates, and either may be fine. Do be careful about biosecurity issues concerning any new birds you introduce, because you don't need an illness brought in to complicate everything.
And I hope the dog owner is taking care of your expenses, at least covering the fencing and value of your last birds. Did you file a report with Animal Control?
Electric fencing is your friend, if it's legal where you live.
Mary

She does need flockmates, and either may be fine. Do be careful about biosecurity issues concerning any new birds you introduce, because you don't need an illness brought in to complicate everything.
yes, this is very important, you sure don't want to introduce something like Marek's or mycoplasma to your flock.

Murray McMurray Hatchery sells started pullets,so this might be an option:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/started_pullets.html

chickens need a flock, right? After her wounds heal (her back is torn up) I was thinking about getting a couple more birds.

It is common to introduce new chickens by housing them in adjacent pens for several weeks, so they can interact through the wire mesh but cannot hurt each other. That could start even before she is healed up, if you want. Just wait for her to be fully recovered before putting them in one pen together.

I'm so sorry.

And I hope the dog owner is taking care of your expenses, at least covering the fencing and value of your last birds. Did you file a report with Animal Control?

This.

Your neighbor absolutely owes you reimbursement for ALL costs, including the replacement of the lost birds.

Here are a couple articles on integration to help you through it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

So sorry for your losses!
Mary
Thanks for your reply! I did file this with animal control and the owners boyfriend came over to “make it right” the other day and told me they would make payments to pay off the vet bill. I’m glad they’re at least acknowledging it and they are also going to rehome the dog.

Back
Top Bottom