Advice and help required regarding the joys of candling.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lukewride, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Hello!

After being told by the very knowlegable people of this site to candle on day 8 i've just had my 2nd attempt.

the problem is.. i'm not sure what i should be seeing..

every person i speak to seems to have their own opinion of what is healthy on day 8 and every picture i see is different...

basically the torch i've used isent a super powered LED one that you lot seem to recomend but it is a brand new one with new bateries.

I've got a broody light sussex bantam under 6 eggs.
    after 2nite 2 were clear and so i presume they are failed.
    2 were cloudy and it looked like there was a thick blob floating about that moved when i moved the egg and 2 had black blobs amongst thick dark stuff which diddent move much.

I'm a bit worried because i diddent see any obvious viens but then again i'm not entirly sure i should be seeing them at this stage..

I dont know whether my torch not being an LED would make a difference but i'd love to know.

any help would be gratefully recieved..

thanks!

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
  3. iheartchkns

iheartchkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    I am new to candling, too, and am at 19 days with my eggs. I was told when I was uncertain to not judge and put all the eggs back in the incubator. Then, every other day just open the incubator enough to take a sniff to see if you smell anything rotting. If you smell a rotten smell, sniff out which egg(s) is the culprit and remove it.

I'm glad I took that advice, because 5 of the eggs I almost threw out are completely dark inside and I'm expecting them to hatch anytime.

Dark and light is good. Completely clear, probably nothing happening. I only had one egg where I saw the chick actually moving around inside and now, that egg looks almost completely dark like the other seven I am waiting to see hatch.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

LEDs on average aren't as bright as regular flashlights so it don't "need" to be an LED. I only throw eggs away If there almost completely clear on day 19. As you do it more you may start throwing them away sooner but I still dont.

5. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    ok, so dark is good and blobs are good...
    as long as theres no smell i'm currently in luck then.. great

should i be seeing viens? i cant se any

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by