Advice: Buy adult quail locally, or buy eggs online?

zaylinda

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Tacoma WA
I'm brand new to keeping quail.
I've found someone near where I live who is selling some Coturnix, but he doesn't seem to know much about them. He has "white" and "brown" quail, but can't tell me if they are Jumbos, A&M, Pharoh, etc. There is no telling what quality (or age) these adult quail would be. The pros to buying from him is that I would have quail immediately, no hoping they make it through the mail, no praying the eggs hatch, brooding chicks, etc.
Or I could buy eggs online, from someone who knows what they're talking about, and make sure I start with quality stock. The cons - building an incubator, praying it works, hoping the eggs make it through the mail, brooding chicks, and waiting.
I'm a bit conflicted. Anybody have any advice?
Thanks,
-Zay

Zay If You Go With Local/grown At Least Your Flock Will Be Ready Made.... I'd Closely Investigate This Option 1st---- Look The Birds Over, Any S/s Of Illness? How Do They Look? Etc. Size? How Do They Act? If Necessary Take Pix And Comeback Andpost Them Here For Opinions. This Would Be The Cheapest/ Fastest/ Most Result Guarenteed Way To Get Into Quail.

Well if you are getting quail they are addicting and either way you'll end up wanting and buying an incubator so that doesn't count as a CON
tongue.png

If he doesn't know about the quail and you don't seem to think theyare quality stock you WILL be disappointed and probably end up going the other route eventually. I started with bad stock and I had so many problems I had to cull the whole clutch and start ALL over. Lost many to their first laying, seizures, etc. It was awful!!!! I personally would go ahead and start with good stock. Trust your gut. Research the sellers of the eggs and you'll get a great hatch and quality stock!

farrier! :

I agree..if you are going to raise quail you will be needing an incubator. Eggs ship very easily. Lots of us on here are willing to ship...
big_smile.png

VERY TRUE.... HECK I'M DROWNING IN COTURNIX EGGS, FITZY ALWAYS HAS A FEW HUNDRED SPARES LYING AROUND, SHELLEYD USUALLY HAS THEM, THO ITS OFF SEASON FOR HER, THERE'S LOTSA FOLKS HERE WITH EGGS!​

Yep, some of mine are still laying, though they aren't fertile. They like to tease me
lol.png

I would go with eggs, they don't take that long to hatch and reach maturity. Plus, a lot of diseases that can be passed through the egg cause the embryo to not develop, or at least not hatch. So you're safer getting eggs. That's not to say that no disease will be passed to a live chick, but the chances are low. If you do go with the adults, make sure you quarantine them from any other birds, just like you would with any new birds. The difference between jumbo and pharoah is basically the size, jumbos are 10 ounces l.w.+, pharoahs are about 6-8.

Most people don't know the difference, and don't care. To them, a quail is a quail.
smile.png

I'd check out the local birds. Grab them up, experiment with them and their eggs until you get a good hatch from your incubator, sell some of the fertile eggs or chicks, then buy some online stock.

Thanks for your advice everyone.
I think I'll go with a few of the local birds to start with, assuming they look good upon inspection. (thx jjmr)
Then I'll see if I want to increase my flock with hatching eggs.
Thanks again,
-Zay

I do think it's smart to get them locally if you can. That way, you see what you're getting and the seller's facilities.

Back
Top Bottom