Advice/Emergency readiness for shipped chicks disaster

fatcatx

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Northern California
I am in the midst of a shipping crisis. Chicks shipped Tuesday so today was day 3. For some absurd reason my chick were routed to Hawaii - they left there late last night. My post office is not optimistic that they will receive them in time for a Saturday pick up window because they first to go the local distribution facility, so likely it will be a total loss. This is my first chick (and last) shipping order so looking for advice.

1) what do I need to do to document any shipping losses? Is a picture enough? If it doesn't show up in time tomorrow, do I have to go pick up this little cardboard coffin on Monday just to prove they all died?

2) if a small miracle happens and they arrive tomorrow, what do I need on hand to have a chance of resuscitating any still living? Currently I have electrolyte/probiotics for the water and gro-gel to sprinkle on food. I also have nutri drench but read that is not good for shipping shock. Any better options?

I appreciate any & all advice.

Last edited:
Personally my favorite rescue remedy is half raw egg, half water, and a little sugar. The sugar/egg raise the blood glucose levels. Remember to warm them up before feeding.

Those poor little things :(

Thank you for your rescue remedy, esp the reminder to warm them first. I read on another thread to start with warm electrolyte water to get their temp up.

I feel so sick for these babies. Other folks in my metro area ordered from same hatchery and got their babies in 2 days so I thought I was safe. Crazy thing is Hatchery is in Iowa so I did all my research based on those shipping routes. But the shipping label was generated in Illinois. :confused: No idea what’s going on - none of it makes sense.

I hope you get them tomorrow! :fl

super worried now — was it Hoover Hatchery? I just ordered turkey poults to be shipped from there next Tuesday.

I hope you get them tomorrow! :fl

super worried now — was it Hoover Hatchery? I just ordered turkey poults to be shipped from there next Tuesday.
Yes it was - but I’m in California so may not be a concern for you. My understanding is it just depends on the destination. Some routes are very direct and some which are relatively close to the hatchery can get routed all sorts of crazy places because they have established distribution routes. People 30 minutes from me confirmed receipt in 2-3 days so something went very wrong in my case. I kept my order based on local experience but it didn’t work out. :(
Edited to add: just noticed you are in SF. I would think that would be a major postal hub?

Last edited:
Thank you for your rescue remedy, esp the reminder to warm them first. I read on another thread to start with warm electrolyte water to get their temp up.

I feel so sick for these babies. Other folks in my metro area ordered from same hatchery and got their babies in 2 days so I thought I was safe. Crazy thing is Hatchery is in Iowa so I did all my research based on those shipping routes. But the shipping label was generated in Illinois. :confused: No idea what’s going on - none of it makes sense.
If the shipping label was generated in IL I would guess Hoovers outsourced their order entry department with disastrous results. Personally speaking, I would be leaving voicemails and emails for their CEO and VP of Operations asking if they outsourced it and who exactly is doing the data entry.

The carrier messing up is one thing, but the HATCHERY screwing up the address takes it to a whole other level. If the hatchery screwed up it needs to get personal and specific folks need to feel the pain -- chicks dying in shipment is no small matter.

I believe Steve Weiss is the President and Tony Halsted is another leading exec and part owner.

Last edited:
I just returned from the post office. The box isn't even in Sacramento yet.
😭
My address is correct on the tracking information so that was not the issue. The mystery is that even a REGULAR priority package has no reason to be routed to HI, much less a live animal.
Thank you for the contact information. I will be putting it to good use. I'm guessing the hatchery will blame usps and with the information I currently have, I would think that they are the likely suspect. I am not versed on postal business practices, but it may have just come down to human error and the box was physically put in the wrong place.

I am just sick. I thought of them all night. There was absolutely no reason this should have happened. 😩

Last edited:
This seems like a freak accident though. I am praying for your babies, I have seen you say this'll be the last time you order online, and while I haven't ordered online I have seen MUCH success with doing so!

You don't see a ton of threads on here about it, cause well, when there's nothing to complain about not a ton of people have much to say about it! I mean who talks about their toilet or bed, until it springs a leak or the headboard breaks! There really is absolutely NO REASON this should have happened, and it's a bad experience for sure, but I can't imagine this is that common to happen!

I just returned from the post office. The box isn't even in Sacramento yet.
😭
My address is correct on the tracking information so that was not the issue. The mystery is that even a REGULAR priority package has no reason to be routed to HI, much less a live animal.
Thank you for the contact information. I will be putting it to good use. I'm guessing the hatchery will blame usps and with the information I currently have, I would think that they are the likely suspect. I am not versed on postal business practices, but it may have just come down to human error and the box was physically put in the wrong place.

I am just sick. I thought of them all night. There was absolutely no reason this should have happened. 😩
It's not over yet, just hope for the best. You never know they might be OK
:fl

Back
Top Bottom