Advice for a vegetarian who want to process her birds??

Birds are left in the cone to drain out (into a bucket placed below said cone). Then the neck is held with one hand, while the vein is slit, then walk away for 2 mins while it drips (we do 2 at a time, so while bird 1 drains, bird 2 is being put in the cone. Once it's on the cutting board in front of me, it's a dissection. Same passionless detachment that got me thru years of science classes, get me thru butchering. Also if there's no need to store then whole, part them out as you go, split the breasts, leg quarters and wings now, rather than having to go back and rework it. take less fridge space and less fuss (i've been known to rig up marinades ahead, and put the meat straight into the marinades instead of brining them, use a sharpie to write on the sealed bag).

Quote:
go to the NH link on the where am I where are you section and ask around, that is what I did last year and I found a great peson to teach me!. I am in Vermont and would love to help you but it is kinda far. Also go to your local Farmers market and see who is offering chicken for sale, ask them if you could come up on a day they are processing and watch/help.

-Keara

ps there is no getting in the mindset to kill a bird. The first few times will be difficult, but it gets better and you are already ahead of the game as you respect the animal you are going to eat/kill. Also the #1 mistake I made the first few times was not letting the meat age.... after killig and cleaning let the meat sit in the fridge for up to week before eating of freezing. Otherwise it will be tough!

Thank you everyone for sharing
jumpy.gif
some great words of wisdom in these pages! I am definitely feeling more at ease about raising and eating our own chickens. I don't know that I can actually eat one, at least at first. I haven't eaten meat in 9 years so I think it will take some getting use to and soul searching. My husband on the other hand will have no problem and for every chicken we raise that he eats is one less taken from the grocery store. That makes me happy!
My husband and I talked pretty seriously about it last night and he thinks that he will be able to actually do the 'killing' (not sure if that's the right word?) which is the part I would have the hardest time with. I think the gutting etc will not bother me as much (at least I think
sickbyc.gif
), the anatomy of animals very much interest me and I'm hoping that will help get me through!
I think we actually know someone that will be able to show us how to do everything, if not I am going to post in the forums in my area to see if a local will help. Good idea about the farmers markets! I'm sure I could get some wonderful info and contacts there.
I am really feeling good about this decision, I just love the idea of being more responsible about our food and getting a better appreciation for where it comes from.
I have a lot more research ahead of me! Wish me luck
fl.gif

Oh and I have another question. Will my chickens actually be ready to process around the time they start crowing or will they still be too small? I know I have a LB cockerel and a SLW cockerel so far- also will possibly end up with some Cochins, Orpingtons and Barred Rock cockerels. At what age do they normally crow vs when they are ready to be processed?

Thank you!!!
frow.gif

My rule is "when it crows it goes", usually 16ish weeks, later for larger breeds.

Since meat's more a memory for you, may i suggest a dish where it's not the "star", you may find it easier to eat say, cut up chicken in a stir fry than sitting down to a whole roasted chicken. I went lacto-ovo for years, and the idea of eating a full turkey was vile, but I could manage chow mein. Took about 6 weeks of slowly introducing meat back in. (my vegan toddler, however needed 30 seconds and an uncle with bacon)
roll.png

Quote:
Congratulations on making such a brave decision! I know it is not easy and I was a vegetarian for 12 years also. As far as the mindset goes, I would say that once you have done it you will realize that it isn’t so bad after all. We just did our very first 2 roos ever this weekend and quite honestly I was surprised that they were dead instantly (we broke their necks and then bled them) and it was very calm and controlled. It took about 5min to bleed them out and we went to work. If done properly your bird will not suffer. I would start (if possible) doing a rooster that is aggressive (if you have one). It helps to see your poor layers suffer to get you into the mindset. But really, you can do it! I thought I’d never get myself to do it and before I knew it everything was over with and I am planning my next event. My birds sold instantly the minute I asked my egg customers if they were interested and now, 4 days later I have orders for 24 birds in the fall because people appreciate farm raised and humanely processed chicken.

Quote:
lol, that's cute ("30 seconds and an uncle with bacon")
one of my good friends went vegan for four years then spent two weeks on vacation, where she decided to eat meat again (there weren't a whole lot of vegetarian options there). she spent the first week throwing up but was fine after that. i think your method of slowly re-introducing things might be easier.
smile.png

Quote:
lol, that's cute ("30 seconds and an uncle with bacon")
one of my good friends went vegan for four years then spent two weeks on vacation, where she decided to eat meat again (there weren't a whole lot of vegetarian options there). she spent the first week throwing up but was fine after that. i think your method of slowly re-introducing things might be easier.
smile.png

I can totally agree on that part. I have been eating meat for 2 years now and still have issues digesting certain things like beef. I cannot eat pork at all. Take it really slow when reintroducing meat into you system.

Quote:
I always freeze them right away when I get them home. What does soaking and letting them sit in the refridge do? I know they do that with wild birds.

Here is a video of Polyface Farms (the ones featured on Food, Inc.) using Kill Cones. IMO it is the most humane way to dispatch poultry. It's even received the Kosher approval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63S3gLIeQCA

I
understand not wanting to do the killing. First, what helped me most with my first is, "Once the head is off, it's just meat." It's true.

I used a kill cone. I slit the throat and turned around and didn't watch the bird flop after it died or anything. I cried a little. Then when it was still, I turned around and took off the head ASAP and put it in a plastic bag I couldn't see through. After that, it's true, it was just meat. Use a RAZOR sharp knife. Even a new utility knife will do it, but make sure that knife is as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel. Some people even use scalpels.

After the first, the second is easier. The more you do, the easier it gets. You won't turn into a homicidal monster but processing birds for meat will cease to bother you. It's odd though. When I need to cull a sick one or something, I still cry and it bothers me terribly. I even buried a quail in the back yard with respect. Then turned around a week later and prepared 4 for the table, and it didn't bother me in the least. I felt bad for the quail's suffering that I buried, but the others lived a good life. I guess that's the difference. We're still human and we still care for our animals even if we do eat some of them.

Quote:
I always freeze them right away when I get them home. What does soaking and letting them sit in the refridge do? I know they do that with wild birds.

Letting them sit in the fridge gives rigor mortis a chance to go away, making the meat more tender. It takes 2-3 days in the fridge. Check, and when the leg joints move freely, then freeze. You'll have much more tender meat that way.

Back
Top Bottom