Advice for caring for sick duckling

KittyIsQuackers

Quacking
Apr 4, 2018
East TN
My Grammy has just hatched her first ducklings from her flock. Out of two ducklings that hatched, Popcorn and Peanut, one of them had to be helped out of shell. I believe he has splayed legs, and some of the membrane was dried on him, (Grammy had been unable to get that bit: we had to give him a warm bath with Dawn soap in it.) and it looked to be restricting his breathing on top of the wetness from hatching that dried around his torso. He had been facing the corner of the box he was in and letting his head droop any angle it fell into, having a horribly hard time breathing. He hadn't cared about anything that happened. He had occasionally been chirping, though after the bath he’s so much more energetic, chirping like a champ and trying to walk. He can’t do much, though.
Any tips for helping his splayed legs? Are there any vitamins I should tell Grammy to put in his water? Or feed? He isn't eating, and doesn't seek out water, but will drink when his bill is put to water. Anything else I didn’t think of?

image.jpeg
How old is the duckling? Do you have any pictures?
Grammy got him out yesterday morning. 30 hours right now. Here's a picture of after the bath. And should he be with Popcorn? Grammy put a small cardboard box under the same heat lamp so they could be together because Popcorn wouldn’t stop pecking at Peanut

View attachment 1908825
Grammy got him out yesterday morning. 30 hours right now. Here's a picture of after the bath. And should he be with Popcorn? Grammy put a small cardboard box under the same heat lamp so they could be together because Popcorn wouldn’t stop pecking at Peanut
Can you put it back in the incubator?

We can turn the incubator back on. How would that help him?
The incubator is a better place for a ducking that can't walk because it's the same temp in the whole incubator. Your duckling looks too weak to be in a brooder under the light. Weak ducklings cannot easily move in and out of the warm spots, so they will usually get too hot or too cold.

If mine, I would put it back in the incubator set at ~95 degrees. I would also line the base of the incubator with no slip shelf liner and this should help a little with the legs.

The incubator is a better place for a ducking that can't walk because it's the same temp in the whole incubator. Your duckling looks too weak to be in a brooder under the light. Weak ducklings cannot easily move in and out of the warm spots, so they will usually get too hot or too cold.

If mine, I would put it back in the incubator set at ~95 degrees. I would also line the base of the incubator with no slip shelf liner and this should help a little with the legs.
Thank you. We're setting it up now

Back
Top Bottom