Advice for Chicken coop with Greenhouse together

Great job. Looking really good
thumbsup.gif

Well the chicks have only been in the coop for a few days and I've already made some adjustments! I doubled the number of rungs on the ladder and put a cinder block under the bottom of it to lessen the angle it sits at. The chicks are new to roosting and climbing so they were pretty unsteady on the ladder. They seem much more comfortable with it now after the changes.
And the good news is that they slept the whole night last night on the roost, and it doesn't appear anyone fell off and injured themselves! (they've been huddling up to sleep on the floor up until now)

Next its off to college
smile.png
. Great coop. A year and 1/2 later we are still making adjustments to our coop and run. I don't think it ever stops.

Okay! So after a long heatwave that we refused to do any work in, we finally got 'er done! Well, not TOTALLY done, but done enough. I'd still like to put trim on the sides of the greenhouse roof, and we haven't built any beds or anything in the greenhouse. We also still need to run power out there, but that's tomorrow's project.
I'm also still making adjustments in the coop. Turns out the roost was too close to the wall, so I moved that out today.

Oh, you can also see that we're fencing in a large area for the chickens to range where we'll also have a small orchard and raised beds.

Very Nice! More pics of inside please?

Wonders if your upper roost is too close to the wall.

Can you access nests from green house side?

What so you have planted on roof?

Did you line the garden roof with rubber or something and do you have any drainage?

As requested, more inside pics....

This is the inside of the greenhouse. Like I said, we haven't built any beds yet so it's pretty much just a chicken paraphernalia storage area right now. I did throw some potted plants in there the other night though because of frost warnings!

Here you can see the egg door (doesn't quite have the finishing touches on it yet) and the window above the roost.

Now to the coop. I made a larger poop board and moved the roost farther away from the wall today, also removed the lower roost since nobody was using it anyway, and it was too close to the wall as well. I put Sweet PDZ on the poop boards. Makes cleanup a breeze!! As you can probably tell, everything is made from scraps we had leftover from other projects
smile.png

And FINALLY, here is what we call the "vestibule". It's a small separate section of the coop that has a mix of gravel and sand floor. To the right is the run and straight is the main coop. They use it to dust bathe and it's also a source of grit. There is also a human size door to the right to get into the run. The reason we made this was because the prevailing winds in the winter come from the right in this picture and I wanted to be able to have the pop door open in the winter without the wind blowing straight into the coop.

As for what's on the roof, we used Duck Coat as a sealant. http://www.duckcoat.com It's a liquid rubber that you paint on. We drilled holes for drainage on the lower edge. Right now it's mostly just grass growing up there but I'm experimenting with some plants as well, mostly different kinds Sedum and some other things I can't remember right now, but I'm just going to see what does well up there and go with more of that.

Back
Top Bottom