Advice for culling decisions - Who to keep?

HooliganChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Central Ontario
Advice needed – who should I cull?
I have ten ducks, four are boys. I just can’t figure out who to keep!
The Pekin, Fluffy, – age 1 ½, Dad of Sir Francis. He’s mated to our Rouen.
The Buff, Sea Star, also 1 ½, Dad of Sophie (who is a boy). He’s mated to our Runner.
These two fought a lot during mating season, but get along fine the rest of the year. We alternately penned them up, and the Buff almost went to freezer camp, but the runner duck was so miserable without him, she preferred to stay in the pen with him when the others were free ranging. Same when the Pekin was in the pen – the Rouen wanted to be with him.
Sir Francis Drake, ½yr, he’s Pekin x Rouen. He’s also bigger than his Dad.
Sophie, also ½yr, he’s Buff x Magpie
We love Sir Francis because he looks cool. Sophie is the only surviving duck from our beloved Magpie, who was eaten by a fox while she sat on her nest.
But the Hooligan chicks and I know we can’t keep them all, I‘m just not sure how to pick.
My favourite breed is the Silver Appleyard, so I’ll probably not let anyone here go broody next year. (If by chance someone does go broody and I have a weak week I might let the eggs go, so that’s kind of a consideration. They know my weaknesses!) I have noticed that the drakes do sentry duty so I’d like to keep one. The ducks are mostly for eggs, but I don’t mind being able to eat them at the end of the year. I know it’s not really the ideal time for butchering, but better now than later, I guess. We have one EE hen, who will definitely get company next year.
Does anybody have any advice?

To me personality would play a big part if I had to send any to the freezer, I would want ducks and drakes that have a nice disposition, I'm not talking about the when breeding season rough housing comes along that's in them naturally. but Look at your drakes and decide which ones would make ducks with the same personality.
It would be hard for me to break up those that have paired up too.

I have a hard time keeping enough girls for my boys. I would not get rid of any females-young or old. Keeping a good ratio is difficult. Mine are for pets and eggs but I keep all females and give away a drake now and then.

Back
Top Bottom