Advice for introducing rooster to flock of 6 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbike, Sep 9, 2008.

1. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I will be re-homing one of my roosters at my friends. She has 6 hens (15.5 weeks). My rooster is also 15.5 weeks old. I've read that introducing at night can be better? Should he be in a kennel, place the kennel in with the hens at night, and then let out in the morning?

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I'm sure there is some nice procedure,but I just open the door and toss them in.

3. chickenbike

Really? Do they just settle in then after a day or two? No bloodshed? Rooster didn't get picked on or vice versa...no hens too picked on?

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yup, I do that, too, when adding a rooster to a hen flock. The rooster isnt likely to be picked on or attacked by the hens. He will let them know pretty quickly that they are his girls, now!

Your rooster is a young guy, but he will probably be fine. She could put him in at night, but if there is going to be a ruckus, it will then happen at the crack of dawn and she wont be there to intervene if needed. If you are really worried, put him in the kennel inside the run.

Chel

5. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Quote:oohh, this one, then this one, no don't run girls! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just watch them for a little while to make sure he isn't being too rough.

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    ...maybe a little Barry White music and dimmed lights could help as well.... [​IMG]

7. chickenbike

She can be up really early to open the pop door which leads to the fenced/covered run. Then open the run pop door to let them free-range later.

Should I be concerened about the rooster learning to roost and return to his new digs? He won't free-range and get lost?

8. chickenbike

Quote:[​IMG] Sure, that should help eh? [​IMG]

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i like barry white too!

we got a new young rooster last friday at the stockyard sale, and i took chicken wire and blocked him off from the girls in the run and coop until saturday. we were out there working on an addition to our coop all day, so after they stared at him for a few hours, i let him in with them. he is still a bit smaller than they are, and a bit shy- he kind of runs from them, but if they get to picky, he really bristles up. I don't know if he has had any "dates" yet, but at least they are getting along well.

i wanted to keep him separate until i could see if he had worms, cold symptoms, etc. - but he was in good health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by