Advice for new duck mom?

Are you planning on keeping your new duck indoors? I use a large gravity feed water system - the kind used for cats and dogs. As adults they can get their whole heads in but as ducklings they did use it as a pool. I think you are going to find out very quickly how messy ducks are with their water. You might need to rethink how you try to control the mess in their container.

Are you planning on keeping your new duck indoors? I use a large gravity feed water system - the kind used for cats and dogs. As adults they can get their whole heads in but as ducklings they did use it as a pool. I think you are going to find out very quickly how messy ducks are with their water. You might need to rethink how you try to control the mess in their container.
I plan on keeping them indoors yes till they are bigger than transitioning them into a coop. I know how messy they are when I was younger we had ducks and they pooped all the time and loved playing in their water dish

In less than a week I'm bringing home 2 pekin ducklings and I'm pretty new to the whole raising poultry. I have a brooder set up and everything ready to go to my knowledge. Any advice to make my experience go smoothly would be much appreciated to even some tips and tricks you would love to share. Just trying to get a broader perspective and better idea of what I can do.
My advice would be to gently hold and pet them a lot so that they come to think of being touched as a friendly thing, not an aggressive "chasing" or "get away" thing. I spent so much time sitting quietly with my little angels when they were ducklings but I didn't try to touch or hold them (I always let them approach me) and now that they're grown, even though they are friendly towards me and always come running over (and quack loudly for me to come to them when they see me across the yard), they are skittish about being touched, even super gently. I think they think of it as being pecked, the way the dominant ducks peck at them to make them move out of the way. That said, I only had ducklings once, so I don't have proof that touching them a lot as babies would have definitely resulted in adults that like being pet and cuddled. Next time I have ducklings I'm definitely going to try it though!

My advice would be to gently hold and pet them a lot so that they come to think of being touched as a friendly thing, not an aggressive "chasing" or "get away" thing. I spent so much time sitting quietly with my little angels when they were ducklings but I didn't try to touch or hold them (I always let them approach me) and now that they're grown, even though they are friendly towards me and always come running over (and quack loudly for me to come to them when they see me across the yard), they are skittish about being touched, even super gently. I think they think of it as being pecked, the way the dominant ducks peck at them to make them move out of the way. That said, I only had ducklings once, so I don't have proof that touching them a lot as babies would have definitely resulted in adults that like being pet and cuddled. Next time I have ducklings I'm definitely going to try it though!
I will be home a lot so I'll have time on my hands to be able to interact with them while they are young. Seeing those yellow babies will be too tempting to not touch in all honesty :love

My set up I have right now is a 30 gallon plastic container with straw and some shelf liner by the water bowl so they don't slip. Planned on getting some food this week but wasn't sure yet what I wanted to get. What tractor supply has is called Purina Duck Pellets. Don't know if I should give them something more broad or what
I use purine duck pellets. They are great as adults

as ducklings you will want to give vitamin B supplements or they will likely have leg problems

have some medical supplies on hand. First aid cream and spray. Iodine. Epsom salts. And gauze/wrappings. bumble-foot and other illness/accidents can happen so best to be prepared.

handle them as ducklings. As they get older they like to be held less and less.

don’t know if you plan on keeping them inside or outside. If you plan on keeping them outside make sure the pen/coop is predator proof

enjoy them! Ducks rule and have such strong and fun personalities so enjoy every minute of them

I would recommend a mash as opposed to a pellet. Mash is a bit easier for ducklings. Also, make sure to add additional niacin as most commercially available non-medicated chick feeds (which oftentimes are the only available option for ducklings). I like to add a bit of brewer's yeast to the top or crush up some niacin pills to ensure they have enough in their diet.

Introducing leafy greens and healthy veggie options helps familiarize the young ones to alternative forage options. Be sure to also have chick grit available if they're eating green veggies.

Definitely take a lot of photos and videos because ducks grow so much faster than chicks!

Beware introducing young ducks to water too soon. If you do put them in a small pool, bathtub or sink never leave them unsupervised because they could drown.

Ducks love schedules, setting up a feeding or socializing schedule at regular times gets them familiar with what's to be expected. Might be difficult as ducklings but as they get older having set feeding times will get them comfortable. Certain calls that you use with them will get them used to you and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom