Advice for new duck mom?

Your duck killed your dog? Because that is what you said...
I saw that too, I had to read it a few times, that had me confused.
Here is my advice: keep dogs away from them I learned the hard way when I saw my duck chewing on the remains of my puppy Buddy.
FLY HIGH BUDDY
R.I.P. Buddy
2020-2021
This states that your duck, was eating your dog. Is it supposed to be the other way around? Or....
I'm sorry for your loss, just a bit confused. 🤔

I too, read it like ten times until I understood it.
m1802.gif
m1830.gif

I would recommend a mash as opposed to a pellet. Mash is a bit easier for ducklings. Also, make sure to add additional niacin as most commercially available non-medicated chick feeds (which oftentimes are the only available option for ducklings). I like to add a bit of brewer's yeast to the top or crush up some niacin pills to ensure they have enough in their diet.

Introducing leafy greens and healthy veggie options helps familiarize the young ones to alternative forage options. Be sure to also have chick grit available if they're eating green veggies.

Definitely take a lot of photos and videos because ducks grow so much faster than chicks!

Beware introducing young ducks to water too soon. If you do put them in a small pool, bathtub or sink never leave them unsupervised because they could drown.

Ducks love schedules, setting up a feeding or socializing schedule at regular times gets them familiar with what's to be expected. Might be difficult as ducklings but as they get older having set feeding times will get them comfortable. Certain calls that you use with them will get them used to you and comfortable.
I wanted to explore their diet as they got older such as veggies. Is there a certain age I should wait before introducing those?

I fed and still feed Purina flock raiser and add nutritional yeast for the niacin needs.
Pellets will be hard for young ducks to eat. A wet mash is certainly easier for them. The flock raiser is a crumble.

Wet bedding is hard (impossible) to avoid with ducklings. Just do your best.
I kept mine on old towels the first week or so as members here had recommended. It was still messy but helped.

Love to see pics when you get them.

I wanted to explore their diet as they got older such as veggies. Is there a certain age I should wait before introducing those?
I would maybe introduce small tiny bits of soft leafy greens like bok choy leaves, or lettuce (not iceberg) and float it in their water dish. It will get them excited and familiarize them with dabbling. And again, definitely allow them to have a bit of chick grit on hand to help digest those greens.

Avoid spinach, as it contains oxalic acid and interferes with calcium absorption I believe.

Choking is a serious concern, especially with ducklings. When feeding greens to ducklings, make sure you supervise them while they eat.
But leafy greens, bits of grass are a great nutritious snack that can help prevent early onset deficiencies during their rapid growth. Also, angel wing sometimes occurs due to that rapid growth factor and too much protein in their diet, so a bit of green helps prevent that.

Hope this helps!

This states that your duck, was eating your dog. Is it supposed to be the other way around? Or....
I'm sorry for your loss, just a bit confused. 🤔
That sounds really devastating. Maybe it was a young toy breed puppy? whether it was a duck eating the dog or the dog eating the duck, it's so heartbreaking 😔

Back
Top Bottom