Advice for overwhelmed soon to be chicken owner!

Pics

Carlyb22

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
South Carolina USA
I’m getting 4 polish hens from a breeder in March. They will be 3 weeks old at the time I have them shipped. I’m thinking of using a large hamster cage as a brooder for them until they out grow it and then what do I use? I’d like to keep them in the house extra long because I heard that especially with polish chickens they can be sensitive to coccidiosis and a good preventative is keeping them inside longer to build their immune systems? So I need to figure out what to keep them in other than just my bathroom chicken proofed😅

Also does anyone have a shopping list? I feel like I need so much stuff yet don’t really know what. I’m getting a prefab coop to start. It’s got an attached run and should be plenty is space for 4 birds until we’re comfortable letting them free range in our yard while we’re outside.

If anyone has any advice at all I’ll take it! I’m definitely not new to owning animals or even expiring animals at that but chickens are a whole new area I’m not used to at all!

I wouldn't get a prefab coop unless you are going to reinforce and alter it a lot.

You might have to treat for coccidiosis, but you won't know until you get them and they start being outside.

I would find out if they are vaccinated for Mareks.

You will likely need a heat source since they will still be young. Chick feed, smaller waterer, large pine shavings work best and a cover for whatever you are keeping them in, unless you want them flying around all over :rolleyes:

In my opinion a hamster cage isn't even big enough for day old chicks. They need to have a hot side and a cool side so they can regulate their body temperature. A very large sterilite tote is popular with a lot of people. I use a large 40 gallon breeder aquarium with a screen lid until they outgrow it (which they do very fast). Then I moved them out to a 4x4 dog kennel with momma hen heat plate.

Do you have a link to the prefab you are looking at. They're usually a bit of a waste of money but might work temporarily...

How big is the hamster cage? LxW

How big is your prefab coop? And the run?

They probably won’t need too much supplemental heat if you are getting them at 3 weeks, but what is the general temp in your bathroom?

You will also want bedding/shavings, (I used puppy pads for thr first few days so I could observe their poo and make sure they knew where the food is. Possibly a small perch/branch for them to climb on, a waterer and a feeder, and chick food.

Are they bantam polish or standard size? At 3 weeks, standard chicks are pretty big. I wean all my chicks off heat by 4 weeks, so whether you need a brooder or can move them right into the coop, would be up to the weather (where do you live?). I know that a lot of people poo-poo the idea of a small pre-fab coop, but my daughter used one for 2 or 3 years for 3 hens and they did fine. I believe she brooded chicks right in that coop, and never kept them in the house.
Good luck, keep us updated,
Sue

In my opinion a hamster cage isn't even big enough for day old chicks. They need to have a hot side and a cool side so they can regulate their body temperature. A very large sterilite tote is popular with a lot of people. I use a large 40 gallon breeder aquarium with a screen lid until they outgrow it (which they do very fast). Then I moved them out to a 4x4 dog kennel with momma hen heat plate.

Do you have a link to the prefab you are looking at. They're usually a bit of a waste of money but might work temporarily...
My hamster cages are 40gal Minimum! I guess they are technically rabbit or Guinea pig cages! The prefab is precision pets walk in garden coop. I’m not handy unfortunately but with this coop I was going to put it on cinderblocks to air it dig proof

Are they bantam polish or standard size? At 3 weeks, standard chicks are pretty big. I wean all my chicks off heat by 4 weeks, so whether you need a brooder or can move them right into the coop, would be up to the weather (where do you live?). I know that a lot of people poo-poo the idea of a small pre-fab coop, but my daughter used one for 2 or 3 years for 3 hens and they did fine. I believe she brooded chicks right in that coop, and never kept them in the house.
Good luck, keep us updated,
Sue
I live in SC so it’s been getting down in the 20s lately that’s why the breeder is waiting until March to ship! They are standard size!

I was going to do a dog kennel with a small coop inside of it but would have to wrap the kennel in hardware cloth. Would that be a better option?

How big is the hamster cage? LxW

How big is your prefab coop? And the run?

They probably won’t need too much supplemental heat if you are getting them at 3 weeks, but what is the general temp in your bathroom?

You will also want bedding/shavings, (I used puppy pads for thr first few days so I could observe their poo and make sure they knew where the food is. Possibly a small perch/branch for them to climb on, a waterer and a feeder, and chick food.
The hamster cage is 36x18. It’s precision pets garden walk in from tractor supply, it’s 8x5 the coop looks about 5x3.

My house stays at 70 right now!

Back
Top Bottom