Advice for telling new chicken keepers

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
Hello. My mother wants to have a new pet rooster, she has never had chickens before. I happen to have a 6 week old cockerel that I dont need, and she wants him. She has a coop and a setup that I gave the greenlight already, I just need some advice for her for the actual care.

She just wants 1 male and no other birds? Even cockerels should have flockmates so I'd want her to take 2-3 birds.

Will you be able to take the bird(s) back if things don't go well, as a first time chicken owner may have difficulty with a maturing cockerel?

I imagine you have a routine for your flock and know what works as far as bedding, feed, etc. for you, so I would advise her to follow something similar, assuming she lives close by or in a similar climate. Maybe show her some articles on here, if there's specific things she's curious about that she'd like more information for.

She just wants 1 male and no other birds? Even cockerels should have flockmates so I'd want her to take 2-3 birds.

Will you be able to take the bird(s) back if things don't go well, as a first time chicken owner may have difficulty with a maturing cockerel?

I imagine you have a routine for your flock and know what works as far as bedding, feed, etc. for you, so I would advise her to follow something similar, assuming she lives close by or in a similar climate. Maybe show her some articles on here, if there's specific things she's curious about that she'd like more information for.
Yes she lives a few miles away and I will definitely get them back if I feel she isnt ready for them. I am going to give her more birds if she likes takeing care of him, he will kind of let her experience chickens for about 1 week. If she did good and likes him I will give her a few more birds, but if not I can take him back.

Yes she lives a few miles away and I will definitely get them back if I feel she isnt ready for them. I am going to give her more birds if she likes takeing care of him, he will kind of let her experience chickens for about 1 week. If she did good and likes him I will give her a few more birds, but if not I can take him back.
Good to hear you have a plan! Hope it works out for you both, one way or another.

Update, she is now in love with her chickens and even let's them in the house, even putting a roosting bar inside over a washable mat. I never expected her to be a house chicken lady but I guess she is. Now shes asking where to buy chicken diapers

Awe. They are quite addicting as companions. Just make sure she knows the spoiling them with lots of treats will harm them not help them. Help her with a " do not feed" list and strict amounts to limit them to.

Maybe get her into fermenting feed, feels like a treat but it's their own food so no imbalance issue.
( It feels like your creating a real special thing for them and all of mine love it)

Last edited:
Chicken diapers wouldn't work, but she could try it with cotton towels. I try to keep my indoor chickens confined to a bench that I can keep covered in towels, but that doesn't work and the house floors still need cleaned daily.

Awe. They are quite addicting as companions. Just make sure she knows the spoiling them with lots of treats will harm them not help them. Help her with a " do not feed" list and strict amounts to limit them to.

Maybe get her into fermenting feed, feels like a treat but it's their own food so no imbalance issue.
( It feels like your creating a treat for them and all of mine love it)
Ooh good idea, I will. I told her she can give them a bit of pumpkin guts from Halloween

Chicken diapers wouldn't work, but she could try it with cotton towels. I try to keep my indoor chickens confined to a bench that I can keep covered in towels, but that doesn't work and the house floors still need cleaned daily.
Yeah, and I told her that chicken diapers probably need changed often, she keeps the front door open and they go in and out but are mostly out in the yard all day and roost over a washable matt at night

Back
Top Bottom