Advice for this newbie! Young pullets NOT returning to the coop at dusk!

mraenick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
I'm new to this website and a newbie chicken handler! My 6 chicks are 9 weeks old. They have been outside in a high-rise coop now for a week. We have started letting them out in an attached pen. They LOVE coming outside, but I'm having a problem with them not going back in the coop at night! I have to physically put them in when it gets dark. before it gets dark, I turn on the heat lamp in the coop. They just stay in the pen and all huddle in the corner together. I have seem some of them walk up the ramp during the day to return to the coop, so I know they can do it. I've tried enticing them with dried mealworms (which they love) by shaking the box. I've also tried putting some in my hand and luring them up the ramp at night. I'm not having any luck! Any suggestions? Are they still too young and it will take some time for them to "get it"?? They also don't seem to be roosting in the coop. They lie down in the shavings to sleep.

welcome-byc.gif
The mealworms and picking them up and putting them in the coop should help. My chickens also needed a bit of encouragement, but after a few days they usually get the idea and go in by themselves. I'd say keep doing what you are doing and if they go in by themselves, reward them with a treat (mealworms).

The behaviors you're describing are totally normal. For about a week, or even two, you'll have to put them inside at night and shut their coop door.

Not sure of your location, but in the summer, you really shouldn't need a heat lamp. In fact, unless you're in a region that is super cold, after your chicks have lost their baby fuzz and are fully feathered, you shouldn't need a heat lamp at all. They're basically used for keeping baby chicks warm.

They will cluster together in a corner of the coop at first, and as they mature, then they'll start roosting at night. It takes a while.

I have 16 week old pullets that still need a bit of feed or a treat to lure them back in, but we actually just started letting them free range over the last week, so I'm hoping pretty soon they'll be like my 2 yr old leghorns & come in by themselves
wink.png

I had the same experience. They'll get it. What time are you trying to get them in the coop? I live in NY and mine go in about 8:30-9:00pm. The first few nights I had to coax them with food and a light on in the coop, but now they go in on their own, no light or anything. And mine are 4 and 6 wks old and still not roosting. They're young, be patient. That's what I learned on here.

I also had the same problem when my chickens were that age. My daughter and I would put them in their coop at dark and close the door. Only had to do this 3 or 4 nights before they started going in on their own. Many chickens don't start to roost until they are around 3 months. Good luck. Chickens can be very stubborn. I haven't figured out how to get mine to go into the coop when it rains. They stay out in the run and get wet.

I live in Maine and it can be in the 50's at night. I was told that they needed the heat at night until they were 10-12 weeks old!

I live in Maine and it can be in the 50's at night. I was told that they needed the heat at night until they were 10-12 weeks old!

Actually I was out of town and my now 6 week old chickens endured a couple nights with low 46 degrees (we are in the CA sierras-I am sure the coop was a little warmer inside and we have a thick bedding of hay) -- this was about 10 days ago they seem fine. Dont have heat in the coop and these have been out since age 3.5 weeks (disclaimer I am new to chickens and had no idea... these were also outdoor birds raised outside by their momma, I got them at age 3 weeks.)... I lure them into their coop at night with a plate of mash-- works for about half of them and the others make a half hearted attempt to run away and then fly to the coop....

Mine all huddle in a corner of the coop still at night. It is funny how they pile/climb on top of each other. 3 months and still doing that. However, if I leave a light on for them they rooost on a low roost about a foot off the ground. I decided that they will roost all in their own time and don;t turn the light on anymore. I would dinfintely get them locked up at night though!

You might give them something really yummy other than the worms to coax them in at night until they do it on their own. Yogurt is probably my girls favorite treat. A teaspoon of plain yogurt. They'll run seeing it coming (after they know what it is). Worth a shot anyway.

Back
Top Bottom