Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by springbok7, Sep 24, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What you have would be fine, but you might want to get a bigger syringe, 'cause your hen can probably take way more than 20ml. As for the food, I use Kaytee. [​IMG] If you think her crop can hold 60ml, give her 40-60 ml of warmed water with a little sugar, then repeat in 60-90 min if her crop has cleared.

-Kathy

2. springbok7

springbok7 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    Big Island, HI
    Is that just sugar water or a mash of sugar water with food? If just water, how much sugar is a little? A teaspoon of raw sugar? white sugar? in 40cc of water?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

4. springbok7

Sep 19, 2015
    Big Island, HI
    No, no corn syrup. We've got raw cane sugar, white table sugar, molasses, and honey.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd just sweeten it a little with anything but the molasses. Then give just fluids now, again in 60-90 minutes and post new poop pictures.

-Kathy

6. springbok7

Sep 19, 2015
    Big Island, HI
    Ok, will do. Thanks! Will post back in an hour or so

7. springbok7

Sep 19, 2015
    Big Island, HI
    Ok, I fed her 20cc of sugar-water and so far no different poo. I also tried to clean off her bum, with limited success. it's quite dirty and there are dried hard lumps stuck to her feathers. I can't loosen them without pulling on the feathers, even after soaking them a bit in water, so I've left them alone for now. We have another 3 hours or so of daylight, should I try giving her some of the baby food as well? And I checked, the brand is indeed Kaytee, the same as used in this post. Her crop was empty when I gave her the first batch of water. I'm going to check now and give her another batch if it's emptied.

P.S. I remembered to weigh her just now, she's 1.914 kg (4lb 3.5oz), with a bit of a damp bottom.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have modified my tubing program since that thread was started and I now concentrate on getting tons of water in them before tubing food. For example, I have a sick peahen that weighs about 6 pounds, so I gave her 90ml of fluids, waited about 90 minute then gave her another 60ml. If your hen was fat, she'd weigh about the same, but I'm guessing she's probably closer to 4 pounds if she's thin. I would definitely try to get 40-60ml of fluids into her now, then again in 60-90 minutes. Then maybe one more time in the morning, and tube Kaytee 60-90 minutes after that. Make sense?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @springbok7 , I sent you a PM with my number.

-Kathy

10. springbok7

Sep 19, 2015
    Big Island, HI
    Thanks! I'm going to take the poop to the vet and do the test and hopefully pick up some larger syringes from TSC/Del's on the way. I just gave her another 20cc, but I don't have any larger syringe at the moment. I'll be back soon and give her more, so it's going at 20cc per hour at the moment. BRB.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by