Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

The poultry dust is what we have. I'll forward that along to hub. Her crop feels a bit less than when we fed her. She's back to sleeping and tipping over so I set her up with an open "box" of two boxes on the sides and left front and back open, with the towel nested between. She made another poop and it looks the same as the pic I posted earlier.

When you dust her, avoid putting pressure on her crop and try to keep her head and neck up when you do it.

-Kathy

Thank you, that's exactly what we did, hubby kind of "patted" the dust into her feathers on her back, sides, and wings. Hopefully it helps. Her poor feathers are so dry.

ok got some in her vent area, but as I mentioned yesterday there is so much junk there. Also gave her another 30cc of sugar water and hub gave her about 1T of pellets since she seemed interested in them. Still wobbling though. She did manage to get herself out of the towel nest and into a bit of sun. I'm checking on her every half an hour to make sure she's ok, upright, etc etc.

ok got some in her vent area, but as I mentioned yesterday there is so much junk there. Also gave her another 30cc of sugar water and hub gave her about 1T of pellets since she seemed interested in them. Still wobbling though. She did manage to get herself out of the towel nest and into a bit of sun. I'm checking on her every half an hour to make sure she's ok, upright, etc etc.
Try trimming the feather with scissors?

-Kathy

trimmed the worst of it, I think (was not sure how aggressive to get with it), and redusted. got hub to take a couple pics before dusting. Do these tell you anything? Also not sure if I should have tried washing off the poop that's there, I teased off what I could with the tip of the scissors but obviously there's still more there....

Also, she's eating any food we put right in front of her. Is it better to let her do that combined with tube feeding the sugar water or should we just tube feed sugar water and the kaytee? The regular pellets are 16% layer pellets.

Last edited:
trimmed the worst of it, I think (was not sure how aggressive to get with it), and redusted. got hub to take a couple pics before dusting. Do these tell you anything? Also not sure if I should have tried washing off the poop that's there, I teased off what I could with the tip of the scissors but obviously there's still more there....

Also, she's eating any food we put right in front of her. Is it better to let her do that combined with tube feeding the sugar water or should we just tube feed sugar water and the kaytee? The regular pellets are 16% layer pellets.
She doesn't need the sugar now that you're tubing food. Fine to let her eat pellets or crumbles in addition to what you're tubing. You could also try making her some egg and see if she likes those.

Inspect the skin under those poopy feathers and make sure there are no sores or maggots.
-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom