Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

Whatever works for you! It's really good news that she's eating again!

-Kathy
YES! And in no small way thanks to all your help. I'm not relieved yet, but I am certainly super hopeful, which is more than I can I felt a couple days ago! Fingers crossed that she continues in this line!

I have found that it's best to weigh them at the same time every morning before feeding. That way you're not weighing them and all the food that's still in them.

-Kathy

Here's an update for today:
0800AM:
- weighed, 1.999kg (4lb 6.5oz).
- her crop was still pretty full though not tight, gave her mashed eggs-n-water to pick on, about 100g.
- overnight poop, as of 8:30AM:

- poop while nibbling on eggs, about 9:30AM:

1130AM:
- gave about 90g of pellet mash mixed with egg/water leftovers.
- a couple regular looking poops.
- crop feels nice and full.

@casportpony sigh, now I have the opposite problem from yesterday. I haven't been able to do any tube feeding because her crop has been full all day. It's now 1545 and she hasn't touched the pellet mash I gave at 1330, and her crop still feels full. She seems to be smart enough to not touch food when she's full (unlike some dogs I've known) but it means that tube feeding is not an option right now. Is there anything that I should be doing, other than exercising patience?

Today is cooler than yesterday, and we've not had any sun, so I've kept her in a baby run sort of in the doorway for the room we've been keeping her crate in. On a plus note, she hasn't been falling over today, and has been standing and lying down normally, but hasn't been active. She walked a few steps to the food this morning but hasn't gone to drink much if any water or gone walking around at all. I've also just moved the water container within reach, to see if she'll drink any.

@casportpony sigh, now I have the opposite problem from yesterday. I haven't been able to do any tube feeding because her crop has been full all day. It's now 1545 and she hasn't touched the pellet mash I gave at 1330, and her crop still feels full. She seems to be smart enough to not touch food when she's full (unlike some dogs I've known) but it means that tube feeding is not an option right now. Is there anything that I should be doing, other than exercising patience?

Today is cooler than yesterday, and we've not had any sun, so I've kept her in a baby run sort of in the doorway for the room we've been keeping her crate in. On a plus note, she hasn't been falling over today, and has been standing and lying down normally, but hasn't been active. She walked a few steps to the food this morning but hasn't gone to drink much if any water or gone walking around at all. I've also just moved the water container within reach, to see if she'll drink any.
How firm does her crop feel? If it feels firm, tube some water and see if you can get is mushy.

-Kathy

It felt a bit firm to me, tight, like a balloon. We gave her 5cc water to see. Hub thought it felt more mushy after. She regurgitated a tiny bit as I was transferring her down off the table, but hasn't done that again since. She was wobbly for a bit afterwards but seems to have gotten her legs back under now. Will continue to monitor and update as needed.

It felt a bit firm to me, tight, like a balloon. We gave her 5cc water to see. Hub thought it felt more mushy after. She regurgitated a tiny bit as I was transferring her down off the table, but hasn't done that again since. She was wobbly for a bit afterwards but seems to have gotten her legs back under now. Will continue to monitor and update as needed.
Keep trying to get water in her.

@enola , thanks for asking :D Here is the status update:

0800AM:
- weight 1.948kg (4lb4.75oz)
- crop was about half full and she was awake and standing in her crate.
- tubed ~15cc water
- overnight poop:

- gave 60g egg mash and she ate most and some pellets

1000AM:
- tubed 10cc water
- poop since 8AM:

- offered 15g pellet/10g kaytee/50g H2O mix, not eating at the moment, but crop is full though squishy.
- as of 1040AM she is sleeping in the corner. Her beak opens to breathe. She made a watery poop.

Is the sleep-breathing normal? Usually heads are tucked deep enough under wings that I can't see if they gape their beaks or not...

Back
Top Bottom