Advice needed - bitten off more than I can chew

Thanks so much @ruthhope I will be out and about looking for a large plastic tub, I’ll line it with a non slip matting (can get from ikea on a roll). Can I ask your advice re the heat lamp. Today I noticed they are wanting to be away from it, so assuming it’s too warm. What’s the possibility of them being without it? The house is a constant 21.5c day and night. I feel without might be better than killing them with the heat?
I would probably agree with the others in reading the duckling's actions - if they are away from the heat, then the lamp could be raised. When they have acclimated enough to room temp- Ducklings and goslings tend to get there faster- then the lamp could be put away. But, with all their floof and no feathers, especially after a dip in the tub, they may need help warming back up and that is the real reason for the lamp. When tha start having more feathers the heat will stay within them longer and they'll have less need for a lamp in general.

I don't have any duck experience, but just wanted to say I relate to having baby birds take up way more time than expected and feeling in over your head. I'd put out one fire only to have two more pop up. You're doing great, and you're going to get through this (especially with help from BYC!)

I don't have any duck experience, but just wanted to say I relate to having baby birds take up way more time than expected and feeling in over your head. I'd put out one fire only to have two more pop up. You're doing great, and you're going to get through this (especially with help from BYC!)
Can I take this advice too? This is so kind, and applies to so much....:love Baby ducklings are hard, but so worth it in the end. By Spring We will be so happy we did it... and the ladies will be nicely distracted thru winter, until Spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom