Advice needed - bitten off more than I can chew

Mrs Rusty

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
Hi there, new duck mum to x 7, 7 day olds. I feel like I need some support as really struggling. They hatched in the incubator last week and are in large Guinea pig cage with heat lamp in our back lounge. They are healthy as can be, having Bath time every day, but boy they take up a lot of my day. My husband wanted to hatch them with the intention of keeping a couple and the rest going back to the farm where we got the eggs from. However, he has been called away to work for two weeks and I’ve been left to navigate this never done before task. Main issue, the brooder is not big enough now, I can’t see us making it another 8 days before my husband gets home to sort it out. I’ve two indoor cats who are extremely well behaved around them, but a playpen type thing not an option as the cats will be able to jump in it - they’re safe where they are as hubby meshed it before he went away. Trying my hardest here, but need solutions. We’re in UK so they can’t go outside as a bit chilly and don’t have housing for them yet. I didn’t realise this would be so consuming, or they would grow so quick. I’m spending most of my days trying to find solutions to something that I thought would be a shared experience. Please help

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    713.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 20
can you keep them in your bathtub and keep bathroom door closed so cats stay out? then to clean up use a laundry basket to put them in temp while you clean out their tub.
? if you use peepee pads (such as hospital bed pads) under the shavings (so that they don't slip around,) its easy to clean up.
and they can swim in there too before you set it all back up

Last edited:
can you keep them in your bathtub and keep bathroom door closed so cats stay out? then to clean up use a laundry basket to put them in temp while you clean out their tub.
? if you use peepee pads (such as hospital bed pads) under the shavings its easy to clean up.
and they can swim in there too before you set it all back up
@Jenbirdee thank you. That’s a good idea and yes I will do this from tomorrow. Can I also ask about the heat lamp. The way it is set up, I cannot alter it so it is further away from the ducks until hubby returns and I don’t have anyone I could ask. Today I noticed they are moving away from it, but not enough room in the brooder for them to move away enough. I was wondering if it would be ok to remove it? Our house is warm at a constant 70f and stays the same temperature day & night. The ducks really are big now and huddle together, totally unsure what to do for the best. I don’t want to kill them being too warm, so surely huddling together would be better in this situation.

I raise ducklings in large plastic storage boxes: the sort that have lids that clip on, although I don't use the lid. I use chicken wire across the top and folded down at the sides of the box. I am not sure what you call them in the UK: we call them plastic totes. The chicken wire should keep out inquisitive cats

Ducklings can get splayed hips walking on slippery plastic or bath tubs. I put down a layer of textured vinyl shelf lining on the bottom and pine shavings over, so litte feet don't slip. The shelf lining can be washed and reused.

Get the largest tote you can buy from ASDA or similar. Doesn't have to be more than 15-20 inches (40-50 cm) deep but should have a large bottom area. I have a long one that fits inside our bath. I hope you can find similar.

A cardboard box might do temporarily but it will get wet and stinky in a week.

Once your little cuties are safely in a covered tote, you shouldn't need to spend much time looking after them. Just make sure the temperature is OK and check in on them every couple of hours, to make sure they have food and water, and that nothing untoward has happened

I raise ducklings in large plastic storage boxes: the sort that have lids that clip on, although I don't use the lid. I use chicken wire across the top and folded down at the sides of the box. I am not sure what you call them in the UK: we call them plastic totes. The chicken wire should keep out inquisitive cats

Ducklings can get splayed hips walking on slippery plastic or bath tubs. I put down a layer of textured vinyl shelf lining on the bottom and pine shavings over, so litte feet don't slip. The shelf lining can be washed and reused.

Get the largest tote you can buy from ASDA or similar. Doesn't have to be more than 15-20 inches (40-50 cm) deep but should have a large bottom area. I have a long one that fits inside our bath. I hope you can find similar.

A cardboard box might do temporarily but it will get wet and stinky in a week.

Once your little cuties are safely in a covered tote, you shouldn't need to spend much time looking after them. Just make sure the temperature is OK and check in on them every couple of hours, to make sure they have food and water, and that nothing untoward has happened
Thanks so much @ruthhope I will be out and about looking for a large plastic tub, I’ll line it with a non slip matting (can get from ikea on a roll). Can I ask your advice re the heat lamp. Today I noticed they are wanting to be away from it, so assuming it’s too warm. What’s the possibility of them being without it? The house is a constant 21.5c day and night. I feel without might be better than killing them with the heat?

Back
Top Bottom