Can two week olds go outside?

Mrs Rusty

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
Hi there, my ducklings are desperate to get outside of their pen. They are almost two weeks old and have been in the house having regular baths and run around the lounge every morning. But now they are much bigger, it is much messier. The weather here in the uk is mild at the moment, around 70 degrees and I have a small area where they will be penned in and safe. I’d really like to allow them some outside time during the day and bringing them back inside at night. I’m new to ducks and can’t believe how fast they grow!!!! I don’t want to do something that will harm them but I really would like them to have some enrichment. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3862.jpeg
    IMG_3862.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 9
Take them out during the day but only on warm days without a lot of wind so they don't chill. They do grow fast but when they only have down you have to be careful they don't chill or get wet. I wouldn't give them swimming water since it will be cold.
:welcome

Take them out during the day but only on warm days without a lot of wind so they don't chill. They do grow fast but when they only have down you have to be careful they don't chill or get wet. I wouldn't give them swimming water since it will be cold.
:welcome
Thanks so much. This might sound like a silly question, but will they be ok unattended? They will have a safe space and will check the weather etc first. I’m really struggling at the moment as I timed it wrong to hatch them. Feel a bit irresponsible and beating myself up over it, but trying my best for these lovely little guys. It’s hard going keeping them inside. I might try to set them up in the garage where they will have more space and heat lamp accessible. Any advice welcome.

Thanks so much. This might sound like a silly question, but will they be ok unattended? They will have a safe space and will check the weather etc first. I’m really struggling at the moment as I timed it wrong to hatch them. Feel a bit irresponsible and beating myself up over it, but trying my best for these lovely little guys. It’s hard going keeping them inside. I might try to set them up in the garage where they will have more space and heat lamp accessible. Any advice welcome.
I meant to say unsupervised for short periods

If they are in a safe secure spot they should enjoy being outside. When I have young ducklings I take them out a lot during the day when the weather is nice.
Maybe you can set up a large space inside your garage for them a dog X pen would work.

I set up a safe enclosed dog pen for my 2 week olds
On warm days they went out all day
I added a cat little box full of water and mine would go in and out to swim
I didn’t need to stay out with them as nothing could get inside that pen
I used clear plastic panels all around the lower side to keep the big ducks from pecking and the cats paws out
I also set wood boards across the top and added the shade netting over that and zip tied so it was tight and couldn’t move

At 6 weeks I moved them out into my bigger covered run and now have a pond and kid pool to swim in and they go in the outdoor coop at night

Attachments

• 5B63F534-A22C-439D-B11E-AB5C5B283E3A.png
    5B63F534-A22C-439D-B11E-AB5C5B283E3A.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • C1A5D92B-6C23-44D2-A2EE-381038987051.jpeg
    C1A5D92B-6C23-44D2-A2EE-381038987051.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • D34DD7D0-6D9E-418C-BE70-A130DC504AE2.jpeg
    D34DD7D0-6D9E-418C-BE70-A130DC504AE2.jpeg
    988.6 KB · Views: 9
Yes, I agree that it’s ok to put them into a secure outdoor area during the day when it is warm at this age.
“Pool time” is definitely in need of supervision, but as long as you are confident that they can’t escape the day pen, and you have the top covered securely, IMO they are good to be out inside the pen even if you need to leave for a bit. Just leave them with food and a way to get a drink but not a “pool”
My thoughts / suggestions may change if you live rurally and have small predators (weasels, lesser weasels, snakes large enough to take ducklings that size...)
We live rurally and have coyotes, many predatory birds, raccoons, the very rare ermine, bobcats, and cougar here. No “bad” snakes, but the “bad” snakes are the most common daytime predator in many areas.
I also use a collapsible “dog” fence for my day pen for my babies. I have 1/2” hardware cloth zip tied to each of the folding panels, so the babies can’t squeeze through, and the likely predators can’t reach through.
I also have some 1”x4” fencing that is bent to shape that I can place over the top to make sure the turkey poults stay in, and keep birds out. When I move the pen to a new/ clean area, I just keep it the same shape so the “top” can go back on.
In my experience, the more exposure the ducks have to a bit of swim time, and time on safe outside ground/ grass for most of the birds we keep, the more healthy and hearty they tend to be as they grow.
Just my 0.02$

Only thing I am not sure of is 70* temps the ducklings at almost 2 weeks probably shouldn't be playing in water where they will get wet.
Mine did and were fine
By 3 weeks mine won’t even use heat
When mom duck had her 6 she took them ti swim and wasn’t sitting on them to warm them up at a week old
They would swim then preen and would be dry

Back
Top Bottom