New member seeking advice, cat bite on ducks leg.

Sithmaull

Hatching
Jul 12, 2023
Hello everyone,

My names Tom and I’m from the south west of the U.K. I’ve come here seeking advice and also probably looking for some peace of mind at the same time. I’ve only had my ducks for a couple of months and spent a lot of time building them an enclosed area that has everything they need, they are very pampered. However, I neglected one small gap and a cat managed to get a claw into the ducks leg and we think bite him also on the leg. I’ve rushed him down to the vets and she thinks it’s not fractured and has given me a liquid pain killer that we give him once a day and antibiotics in tablet form that we give him twice a day. We’re close to day 4 now and poor Ducktanian won’t put his leg down at all, the swelling seems to have all but gone and the wounds are healing nicely but I’m worried as he can’t really walk on one leg well. I’m going to take him back to the vets in a few days if still no signs of improvement but has anyone else had a duck that’s suffered a cat bite? How long should it take before he tries to walk on his leg again? He’s eating and drinking normally and I put him in and out of the pond a few times a day otherwise he just sits in the same place for hour after hour.

So my main questions are,

How long should it take before antibiotics work in ducks? (call ducks)

Should him not trying to walk on his leg a sign of something else?

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you everyone for your help but I’m very worried about my poor little lad.

Thank you again for reading and any advice,

Tom & Ducktanian (on the left).

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpeg
    IMG_4020.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 43
Thank you everyone,

I’ve been putting him in and out of the pond all day for 30 mins at a time to try and encourage him to use his leg and give him a chance to wash etc. this is the area I built, the pond is at the back behind the bush. The grass is all artificial so it’s easy to clean and there’s a dirt patch with some plants on the right, the house at the bottom left and I built a deck area with steps to get into the pond and a ramp to get out. The floor is a screed so it’s super smooth and easy to wash down and won’t hurt their feet. My poor little duck is the one sat down near all the food and water I’ve been putting around him so he dosent have to move to eat or drink. I also have a live camera so I can keep an eye on them from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.png
    IMG_4097.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
I can’t tell for sure from here but the ramp looks steep? That would be hard to navigate for ducks. How about massage and warm Epsom salt wraps do the wrap then massage. This may help with getting the leg back to normal. And give you opportunity to feel along the leg for anything different than the other one.

Yes it does look steep due to the camera, the pond is actually 30cm high and the ramp go out about 60cm if not more. The steps they can climb up and down with no problems.

Can I ask what Epsom salts do? He’s on pain medication and antibiotics currently.

Thank you for your help, it’s very appreciated.

Epsom salts helps with inflammation and also us humans use it to soak in for injured muscles etc. it is also used as a laxative so it’s not rec to drink much. That’s why I suggested wraps. Plus the wraps would help relax the leg and if you massage after would help the muscles more.

Back
Top Bottom