Lucaslovesducks

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
I recently got two ducks from Tsc which I believe are 4-5 weeks of age. In the second day of having them my brother dropped one from 2-3 off the ground onto a gravel driveway. A few hours later I knoticed she wasn’t able to use her left foot. The foot remains underneath her at all times and she just kinda uses the underneath of her bell on the left side to plant and waddle. I knew it was something serious but everyone told me otherwise(friends and family, vet tecs) but after two days of letting her try to heal on her own I’ve pinpointed the injury to be what I believe to be a broken or dislocated femur. I can’t find a lot of pictures or videos similar to the condition that my little duck (Trooper) is in, everything I find it seems that the ducks leg is dragging behind it rear, whereas troopers leg stays beneath her but cant apply full pressure to it. Whenever looking at the duck from behind you can tell his left leg does not continue along the same path as it’s right leg and the muscle growth is substantially smaller and noticeable on the injured side. My other duck which was the same size as trooper is definitely a bit bigger now so I went and got electrolytes and vitamins for their water. I’ve done so much research on how to splint, wrap and support it but after looking through a very detailed how to splint a birds bones I believe that I will be pretty unsuccessful at placing things in the right position to ensure proper growth. I’m starting to believe that there might not be much hope for my little trooper after reading some forums. My other duck is absolutely in love with trooper, can’t stand to be separated, looks after her, cleans her, throws her body on top of trooper to protect her from me. It pains me to know that she will be even more devastated than me if we have to let trooper go. I’m afraid it’s probably too late to do anything if there was anything I could’ve done to splint or support the bone in the proper position. I wish I could post a video to show how she walks but I don’t think it is allowed. After all this I guess my question is if anyone has experience with a broken femur on a duck that recovered somewhat successfully? I’m open to taking trooper to get x rays although I’m worried it might only lead to bad news and I just want to know what to possibly expect. I know I could’ve condensed this down a bit but It felt good to get it all out. If you’ve made it this far while reading and have any helpful tips or recommendations it would be much appreciated! I’ve attached a few rolling shots of trooper walking to try to give an idea of how she is limping

Attachments

• 27E83515-AC5F-44BE-9A30-36FD3950F3CB.png
    27E83515-AC5F-44BE-9A30-36FD3950F3CB.png
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • 8509B60E-1380-4905-A6CA-BBB1299D5F20.png
    8509B60E-1380-4905-A6CA-BBB1299D5F20.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 81584028-E39B-4081-9E12-CA3B4E4E3A1A.png
    81584028-E39B-4081-9E12-CA3B4E4E3A1A.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 52DB5B8A-B028-4F2C-A635-A42A232C20D4.png
    52DB5B8A-B028-4F2C-A635-A42A232C20D4.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 11
  • D926977F-B58C-4974-AAA9-251C9A2D62DF.png
    D926977F-B58C-4974-AAA9-251C9A2D62DF.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I recently got two ducks from Tsc which I believe are 4-5 weeks of age. In the second day of having them my brother dropped one from 2-3 off the ground onto a gravel driveway. A few hours later I knoticed she wasn’t able to use her left foot. The foot remains underneath her at all times and she just kinda uses the underneath of her bell on the left side to plant and waddle. I knew it was something serious but everyone told me otherwise(friends and family, vet tecs) but after two days of letting her try to heal on her own I’ve pinpointed the injury to be what I believe to be a broken or dislocated femur. I can’t find a lot of pictures or videos similar to the condition that my little duck (Trooper) is in, everything I find it seems that the ducks leg is dragging behind it rear, whereas troopers leg stays beneath her but cant apply full pressure to it. Whenever looking at the duck from behind you can tell his left leg does not continue along the same path as it’s right leg and the muscle growth is substantially smaller and noticeable on the injured side. My other duck which was the same size as trooper is definitely a bit bigger now so I went and got electrolytes and vitamins for their water. I’ve done so much research on how to splint, wrap and support it but after looking through a very detailed how to splint a birds bones I believe that I will be pretty unsuccessful at placing things in the right position to ensure proper growth.
Please don't believe everything you read. Especially on the Internet. It can be Soo negative and misleading...just because they say it won't work it may work for you. Hey you have researched splinting this far. Why not try it? What harm can it do? Just be careful. you will be unsuccessful until you try.
I’m starting to believe that there might not be much hope for my little trooper after reading some forums.
there is hope. stay positive. no one can help trooper but you.
My other duck is absolutely in love with trooper, can’t stand to be separated, looks after her, cleans her, throws her body on top of trooper to protect her from me. It pains me to know that she will be even more devastated than me if we have to let trooper go.
its awesome that tropper has the other duck. May keep trooper going even with a broke leg.
I’m afraid it’s probably too late to do anything if there was anything I could’ve done to splint or support the bone in the proper position. I wish I could post a video to show how she walks but I don’t think it is allowed.
Pretty sure a video is allowed and would be helpful for your thread
After all this I guess my question is if anyone has experience with a broken femur on a duck that recovered somewhat successfully?
maybe @Miss Lydia. she can always help with duck stuff
I’m open to taking trooper to get x rays even though I’ll feel foolish for a little duck that most people would say just get another on for 10$ but I haven’t cried this hard since grandpa passed in 18. I know I could’ve condensed this down a bit but It felt good to get it all out. If you’ve made it this far while reading and have any helpful tips or recommendations it would be much appreciated! I’ve attached a few rolling shots of trooper walking to try to give an idea of how she is limping

Please don't believe everything you read. Especially on the Internet. It can be Soo negative and misleading...just because they say it won't work it may work for you. Hey you have researched splinting this far. Why not try it? What harm can it do? Just be careful. you will be unsuccessful until you try.

there is hope. stay positive. no one can help trooper but you.

its awesome that tropper has the other duck. May keep trooper going even with a broke leg.

Pretty sure a video is allowed and would be helpful for your thread

maybe @Miss Lydia. she can always help with duck stuff
Thank you! I’m trying to figure out how to upload a video. I’m using my phone right now and think that may be the reason it’s not letting me attach videos. I even saved the video as a file and still couldn’t get it to upload. I guess I will have to get on the computer

Thank you! I’m trying to figure out how to upload a video. I’m using my phone right now and think that may be the reason it’s not letting me attach videos. I even saved the video as a file and still couldn’t get it to upload. I guess I will have to get on the computer
yes it is very difficult at least for me to upload photo and videos. try copying link through google photos. then pasting. or clipboardl. i forget how i did it the last time. Go into Feedback and? forum they have the instructions i think

I’m not great with the possible injury, but I did want to say that a short drop wouldn’t normally hurt a duckling. It is possible, but don’t give up hope yet.
I would consider some water therapy, put the duckling in a shallow pan of water, a few inches deep, enough to let him float off the leg. Observe how he uses (or doesn’t use) the affected leg. Just a few minutes in the water, don’t let him get waterlogged.

Also, I do not think the pictured duckling is anywhere close to 4-5 weeks old! Its much younger than that.

Back
Top Bottom