Help raising my ducks!

jovaldes

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
Hello everyone! Recently I got two ducks- Nemo and Bella, both around three weeks old. I’ve been feeding them correctly but they have stopped eating their duck food and will only eat peas and lettuce or other vegetables and fruits. It has only happened this past two days but I can’t help but worry that they’re not getting proper nutrients if this continues.

Another thing I’m struggling with is bonding with them. They are terrified of me when I go near their coup but if I gently grab them and place them on my legs or even the pocket of my hoodie they fall asleep right away. I used to have ducks a while ago and they would follow me everywhere but I can’t seem to do this with Bella and Nemo.
I’ve tried everything so I’m open to any suggestions or ideas!!
I’m sorry if my English isn’t perfect but it’s not my first language!

Hi and :welcome !

Do you know what breed the ducklings are?

I wouldn't feed any treats for the first month or more, as it interferes with the nutritionally balanced duck food. The only thing I would add is niacin if the formula isn't specifically for ducklings. I would remove any extra non-duck-food items. I also wet the crumbles to make a mash to make it easier to swallow for them.

As for taming them, patience. Let them come to you. Wait a bit until you can reintroduce treats, then lure them to you with them. I've had ducklings that never became tame... :(

Hi and :welcome !

Do you know what breed the ducklings are?

I wouldn't feed any treats for the first month or more, as it interferes with the nutritionally balanced duck food. The only thing I would add is niacin if the formula isn't specifically for ducklings. I would remove any extra non-duck-food items. I also wet the crumbles to make a mash to make it easier to swallow for them.

As for taming them, patience. Let them come to you. Wait a bit until you can reintroduce treats, then lure them to you with them. I've had ducklings that never became tame... :(
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll definitely remove the treats and the duck food I’m giving them has niacin. Supposedly they are Rouen ducks buy if I’m being honest i don’t think that’s correct.

Pictures? :)
Here they go! They have slowly started to come near me if I sit still next to them! Also they’ve slowly started eating their food again!

Attachments

• IMG_8337.jpeg
    IMG_8337.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8336.jpeg
    IMG_8336.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8262.jpeg
    IMG_8262.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom