EMERGENCY!! My drake is trying to lay my hen

HenMomma7650

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
My ducks turn 1 year in may these are the first ducks I’ve had and sadly when buying them 7 out of the 8 were drakes so I had to cull 6 of them.
My original plan was to wait for spring to buy more chickens and let the ducks go broody(the coop isn’t finished I need to fill some holes and get some insulation in the walls & roof) but There’s a big hole in my plan suddenly.

Currently I have 2 ducks and 5 chickens 1 rooster and of course 1 drake. Recently one of the older and smaller hens has been hiding inside and when I sat around the coop watching her I’ve noticed the drake harassing her. He used to do this with the rooster and I never bothered them because they are the same size and they needed to have a hierarchy set. However my hen is literally 1/3 the size of the drake and when he chases he’ll try to grab her neck and pin her down which I’m pretty sure means he’s trying to lay her.

Is there anyway to get him to stop? She has perched inside and out so she isn’t bleeding or hurt maybe a few lost feathers but she’s my favorite hen and I miss her running up to me when I yell out to her.

Even if the duck coop isn't finished he should be fine in there (unless holes are big enough for him to get out). Worse comes to worse keep him in a dog crate at night and separated from the flock during the day.

Back
Top Bottom