Drake all of a sudden attacking us

He is what, a white runner duck? he looks so small and sweet to be such a terror. Its hard to imagine. Now I know that a mean rooster or a mean gander can really be a problem... but a cute little runner duck drake? How much damage can he do? Awwwwwwww . Can you get a video ?
He's a runner with colouring like an Ancona. He's beautiful and out absolute fav drake but he is a real terror at the moment. Hahaha
He nips at you and it leaves bruises..m right now not such a big issue being winter and we have thick clothes on but in the summer he'll really do some damage!
When my son goes outside he chases him flapping like crazy and my son (8) will stand his ground but he's relentless. The other day my son slipped in the mud and he got on his back and had him by the hair on the back of his head like he was mounting him. Lol. I will try to get a video when my son comes home in a few days.
Here's a few more pics of him....
Pinning and picking up can work, but it also could just reinforce the belief you’re a flock member and have him wanting to dominate you again in the future.

I read a thread recently, not about drakes, but about roosters, where you could stop the behavior permanently without pinning or picking up, but I can’t find the thread anymore :confused: Not sure if it would even help here

Also in the mean time, either keep him away from your kids - more fences, like Jenbirdee said - or really, really teach your kids not to back down. Running away will only reinforce his aggression.My son (8) is great at standing his ground. Poo

This almost sounds like misplaced mating behavior from a human imprinted drake. If so it will only get worse as photo period and hormones increase. For me kids come first. The drake would either have to be penned or relocated.
You think so? I mean it makes sense the way he's acting but I'm surprised he was imprinted. I intentionally didn't let the kids (or myself) spend too much time with them in the early days as I had read imprinting can lead to aggression.
It's funny because this behaviour started after he spent a couple weeks in the house healing up from a fox attack.
This week whenever we go outside we put him in the fenced in run otherwise we can't get anything done.
I'll hold out hope that it's a phase because he is our fav!!

I have an 8 month old drake who is all of a sudden attacking us.

We had a fox attack about a month ago (no fatalities, just a couple wounded) and this drake has a leg wound and spent a couple weeks in the basement with one of our hens to heal up. When he went back outside this behaviour started.

It first started with him biting my boots. I thought maybe he was being nice but then he full on attacked me and left bruises on my legs.

I read that he's trying to show dominance and that I should pick him up or pin him down to show him I'm the boss. So now every time I go outside and he rushed me I scoop him up and carry him around while I do my chores. This has stopped him from attacking me.

Today though, my 8 year old got our of the car and turned the corner to say hi to the ducks. 2 seconds later I see him running and falling trying to get away from the drake who was full on attacking him, wings flapping and all. I told him to stand his ground and pick him up when that happens which he did and it helped. Then my 5 year old comes out and the drake turns on him and was chasing him around the yard. Now my 5 year old is afraid to come outside.

Any advice on how to reverse this behaviour? Pic of him for fun.
Any mean behavior with my jerry was met with pinning down until he submitted fully. Has been good for a good long while but recent losses seems to have brought it back, im enjoying it because im wearing long pants as it isnt hot yet, as soon as he starts biting my legs hes getting pinned

My Muscovy drake was the one who went after me. So when he would start I’d just pick him up and toss him in the pool kind of like a cold shower, he’d bathe good get out and preen and then we’d start all over again but it did give me a few hours of peace.

I finally had to give up my muscovy and when I rehomed him he did fine at first. Then reverted to the same behavior with the rescue farm caretaker. He was rehomed a second time with a gal who had a hen. They loved each other but shortly thereafter both disappeared.
No matter what I tried (and I tried everything mentioned here, including the cool off in the bath technique) he never calmed down. I think his hormones were permanently astray. Perhaps yours has PTSD from the attack and that has thrown off his hormones. No real advise, just empathy.

Back
Top Bottom