Ducklings ran off

Lightning-Karma

Hatching
Jul 19, 2023
I usually just lurk here (love this forum) but this is my unfortunate first post.

I have 3 ducklings, 2 Swedish Blues and a Rouen. 5 weeks old. I let them in their outdoor area during the day when it's nice. Lo and behold, I went out to change their water and they're not there. I live on a main street with lots of cars, dogs and cats. I checked both my neighbors' yards, as I do admit there are some holes in the fencing there (I underestimated their ability to fit through small holes) and they're not there. Behind us is an empty field and I checked there to no avail. How far do you think they would go? Do I need to check my whole town? I don't live near any water, I have my own private little pond for them. Will they know where to go to come back? Been looking for them all day and I can't even hear them peeping. They are banded, but there is no info on their bands and I am scared someone will think they are wild ducks and drop them off at some pond far away. What are the odds of them surviving long enough for me to find them? Do I leave food all around the yard? I'm patching up the fence holes while I write this. Thanks!

I usually just lurk here (love this forum) but this is my unfortunate first post.

I have 3 ducklings, 2 Swedish Blues and a Rouen. 5 weeks old. I let them in their outdoor area during the day when it's nice. Lo and behold, I went out to change their water and they're not there. I live on a main street with lots of cars, dogs and cats. I checked both my neighbors' yards, as I do admit there are some holes in the fencing there (I underestimated their ability to fit through small holes) and they're not there. Behind us is an empty field and I checked there to no avail. How far do you think they would go? Do I need to check my whole town? I don't live near any water, I have my own private little pond for them. Will they know where to go to come back? Been looking for them all day and I can't even hear them peeping. They are banded, but there is no info on their bands and I am scared someone will think they are wild ducks and drop them off at some pond far away. What are the odds of them surviving long enough for me to find them? Do I leave food all around the yard? I'm patching up the fence holes while I write this. Thanks!
My Runners typically don't roam that far but I have a few acres and they don't venture that far into the wooded acre.

I'd be inclined to leave the holes open so that they can return, but I can only imagine how desperate you feel right now.

Back
Top Bottom