Broody duck advice

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
I have a flock of 12 chickens (12 hens, 1 roo) and 4 ducks (2 hens, 2 drakes) that all coop together. Yes I know my girl boy ratio is off.
My 2 ducks have gone broody and I’m super excited but I need advice!

Is it ok that they hatch their eggs in the coop they share with the chickens? I’m worried that then hens or the rooster might kill the babies. And I know I more than likely can’t move the nest without them abandoning it.

Also, can they successfully hatch eggs in this heat? It gets to be 95 degrees where I’m at and even hotter in the coop. I’m worried for the ducks staying in the coop all day and don’t see how the eggs can stay vital with this heat. So far the eggs are fine though, I’ve seen some signs of development when I candled them.

Overall, would steps should I take?

I have a flock of 12 chickens (12 hens, 1 roo) and 4 ducks (2 hens, 2 drakes) that all coop together. Yes I know my girl boy ratio is off.
My 2 ducks have gone broody and I’m super excited but I need advice!

Is it ok that they hatch their eggs in the coop they share with the chickens? I’m worried that then hens or the rooster might kill the babies. And I know I more than likely can’t move the nest without them abandoning it.

Also, can they successfully hatch eggs in this heat? It gets to be 95 degrees where I’m at and even hotter in the coop. I’m worried for the ducks staying in the coop all day and don’t see how the eggs can stay vital with this heat. So far the eggs are fine though, I’ve seen some signs of development when I candled them.

Overall, would steps should I take?
I have never had a duck go broody but I do hatch in an incubator. We set the incubators at 99.5 degrees. Mine often goes up to 102 before cooling back down. So, I wouldn’t worry about 95. Personally I would not trust the drakes, chickens, or roosters around hatchlings. Could you fence off an area of the coop just for the sitting ducks?

I have never had a duck go broody but I do hatch in an incubator. We set the incubators at 99.5 degrees. Mine often goes up to 102 before cooling back down. So, I wouldn’t worry about 95. Personally I would not trust the drakes, chickens, or roosters around hatchlings. Could you fence off an area of the coop just for the sitting ducks?
I don’t know exactly how hot it gets in the coop but I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets well over 100 at some points during the day.

I possibly could fence them off, but not sure how I would be able design it in a way that they will be able to leave the nest when they need to go eat and drink without the others being able to get in to it

I've had 2 go broody this summer with similar temps and they are successfully incubating. Hoping to have a baby in the a.m. He/she pipped this afternoon. We also have chickens who try to steal the nests and have broken eggs in the nests so if you can try to separate your duck. Can you put food and water in with her and maybe let her out when she takes a break form sitting? My ducks leave their nests for about 30 minutes morning and night so I just wait until they are ready to go back up and close them off.

Back
Top Bottom