Can I move my broody ducks nest?

Quackers912

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2023
Hi all! We have a saxony duck that has been incubating eggs for around 20 days. Her nest is currently in the coop and she's not separated from the rest of the flock. Is it possible to move her nest to an area away from the rest (specifically the drakes)? We have an area in the garage that we raised ducklings in last year that would be safe for her. Any advice on the best course of action? Do we move her or leave her?

Also once the eggs hatch, would it be best to separate them from her and raise them ourselves in the brooder? I've read that most domestic duck breeds aren't great mothers and I'd worry about the babies being with the rest of the flock.

Thanks for any advice!!

Hi all! We have a saxony duck that has been incubating eggs for around 20 days. Her nest is currently in the coop and she's not separated from the rest of the flock. Is it possible to move her nest to an area away from the rest (specifically the drakes)? We have an area in the garage that we raised ducklings in last year that would be safe for her. Any advice on the best course of action? Do we move her or leave her?

Also once the eggs hatch, would it be best to separate them from her and raise them ourselves in the brooder? I've read that most domestic duck breeds aren't great mothers and I'd worry about the babies being with the rest of the flock.

Thanks for any advice!!
I have also never successfully moved a broody duck. 3 out of my 4 mama ducks were excellent mothers. The 4th one was terrible and I had to remove her babies

Agree to wait until they hatch, but give this mama a chance at raising them after all she has sat this long it would be a shame not to let her try.

Last edited:
I have never successfully moved a setting duck. The times I have tried, the duck has broken broodiness. I would fence her off from the flock and move her and the ducklings somewhere safe once they have hatched.
Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of. I think we'll try to fence her off in the coop as best we can!

Back
Top Bottom