Broody hen. Can i introduce ducklings?

Apr 5, 2024
I have a Rouen hen on a nest. I started seeing her there 5 days ago. The second day a rat snake got into the nest and she was real alarmed, but wouldnt leave the coop. Then, she was back on the nest every day since. The first day I thought I had come upon her while she was laying. She was breathing heavy, kind of hissing, and straining in the back. But it’s been the same since. She’s now very bundled up inside the nest. I’m certain there aren't any eggs because I put three golf balls to encourage them laying there, and I collect nearly every day and of course the snake that got into it.

My question is if she’s been broody for less than a week can I try to give her the ducklings that are hatching from the incubator today? This is my second year with ducks and my first broody one. Its also the largest batch of duck eggs I've done, with 19 eggs, and most have pipped already.

I tried and it didn't work this was with a Muscovy so all I can say is try but be ready to get the ducklings away from her if she attacks them.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom